Regina DeFrancisco

How has engaging in this education program while incarcerated impacted your outlook on the future?

This program has made known that I now have a future.

What challenges have you faced in pursuing your studies within a correctional facility, and how have you overcome them? 

A challenge for any student in prison is finding a quiet space to concentrate on papers.

Can you describe a moment or achievement you feel especially proud of in your studies? 

I was especially proud when Deputy Director Michelle Paulsen asked if she could show my Gender Studies final project to her children. It was a short book and she said it was very explanatory of the subject.

Have there been any courses or subjects that have particularly resonated with you, perhaps changing your perspective or aspirations? 

All of these cases open my mind in so many ways. One thing that I get out of them collectively is understanding. The more knowledge I gain, the more empathy I have.

In what ways has the support from educators and fellow students within NPEP contributed to your educational journey? 

NPEP staff, students, tutors, and professors are all amazing. They often support me before I even know I need it or could use it.

Reflecting on your time in the program thus far, what advice would you give to other incarcerated individuals considering starting their educational journey? 

I tell everyone to take advantage of any educational opportunities.

How do you stay motivated and focused on your studies amidst the unique challenges of being incarcerated? 

I stay motivated because I made a commitment to see this through, and it is a good feeling to be a part of something so impactful.

Are there specific goals you’ve set for yourself to achieve by the end of the program, and how do you plan to achieve them? 

My goal is to utilize my degree.