Michael Ortega

Chosen name: I AM.

Cohort: 3

Where are you from?  

I grew up on the East Side of Chicago and have two wonderful sons.  

Why did you decide to apply to NPEP? 

I applied to NPEP in 2022 because I knew this program could help me in my mission to become a social justice advocate. Spending the past two decades in the max part of the prison, I thought it was over for me. For years I was stuck in a box forgetting what it felt like to be alive. But since being accepted to NPEP, I’m starting to remember what living feels like.  

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you? 

Being a part of NPEP is definitely an honor. I have a great deal of respect for everyone who welcomed and accepted me and who continues to help me adjust to this new experience.  

What has been your favorite NPEP reading? 

Hands down, Professor Jennifer Lackey’s got it! Her work, “Punishment and Transformation,” is amazing. Her insights into the nature of the epistemic changes people experience are decisive. 

What is something you would like others to know about you as a student? 

As a student, I always try to learn a subject thoroughly before I claim to know it. I got this habit from the beautiful Brown queen who raised me, my mom. She taught me that when I do a thing I must do it right and exactly, no shortcuts. 

What is a fact about yourself others might find surprising? 

A surprising fact about me is I’m compassionate and I sincerely want to help others. I believe in the greatness of everyone and if there is any way I can facilitate that greatness, then I’m all in. Peace.