Mark Dixon

Cohort: 2

Where are you from?  

Chicago’s South Side.  

Why did you decide to apply to NPEP? 

I believe in the power of education. I am most excited to share the information with my community. 

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you? 

To me, being a part of NPEP means that I have extended family members (Northwestern alum) who have my back. It also means that I get to challenge myself on a high level. 

What has been your favorite NPEP reading? 

“Mountains Beyond Mountains” by Tracy Kidder. It’s about the epidemiologist who figured out that multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis was being caused by ineffective standards of dealing with TB. The thing is, the flawed protocol was established by the World Health Organization (WHO). Dr. Paul Farmer and his organization Zanmi Lasante eventually brought the world up to speed concerning MDR-TB. This book was inspirational.  

What is something you would like others to know about you as a student? 

That learning is a way of life for me and so a tiny piece of my spirit is expressed in every paper I turn in. The word education comes from the Latin would educaté meaning to draw forth from within. As I educate my mind on higher levels, I draw forth from within and blossom like a flower.  

What is a fact about yourself others might find surprising? 

Even though I enjoy class participation, I am otherwise closed off to people. The journey to now has made me guarded and I have a hard time opening up to strangers.