LeShun Smith

Cohort: 2

Where are you from? The southeast side of Chicago (Grand Crossing).

What is your favorite field of study/topic?

Social psychology. Also, barbering

What is something you would like people to know about you as a student?

People should know that I am the personification of determination. Because I understand my goals, I apply all of my efforts to whatever is placed before me, even if I don’t like it. I committed myself to success and NPEP is my companion.

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you?

Quite honestly, NPEP literally means the world to me right now! It’s as if I was losing in the race of life because my shoes had worn down, now I got some Air NPEPs and I’m sure to win. NPEP means that I can finally prove that I’m adequate, sufficient, and extraordinary.

What course has had the biggest impact on you and why?

I guess writing a dramatic pilot had the biggest impact on me. I never thought of myself as being several characters, but I challenged myself and subsequently created a pilot of a story I imagined. I also enjoyed learning that I had such a profound effect on people’s emotions.

What is your favorite book or article that you have read in your NPEP classes?

Most recently, the book was (Xlyoujl) “Journey to the West” for my Asian Studies class. Initially, I was apprehensive because I didn’t see the point. I had conditioned myself from reading fiction. Being advised by Arturo to approach it critically, I was able to excel.

What assignment (paper, project, homework) have you found the most rewarding?

Again, it would have to be my pilot from dramatic writing. I created a story around the type of scandal people hate to admit that they’re intrigued by. I used the pinnacle of conservatism and sex to create a guilty pleasure.

LeShun’s Featured Work:

LeShun’s poem:

Black Adjacent