Anthony Ehlers

Cohort: 1

Where are you from? 

Chicago

What is your favorite field of study/topic? 

History, the classics, and ancient history.

What is something you would like people to know about you as a student?

I love to read. I read voraciously. Knowledge helps your mind, and your view to expand beyond your immediate surroundings — it helps you grow. The more I know, the more I want to know.

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you?

Being in this degree program has meant a lot to me. I have been going through a lot, and this program has been an anchor. Making real connections with real people makes you feel human again — it makes you feel like a real person.

What course has had the biggest impact on you and why?

I enjoyed biology the most. It was taught by Dr. Anne d’Aquino. She brought amazing energy to the class and taught us so much. It was a great class.

What is your favorite book or article that you have read in your NPEP classes?

It’s difficult to pick. I liked so many from psychology, biology, and law. But I think my favorites were the philosophy readings. I liked arguing against a lot of it. 🙂

What assignment (paper, project, homework) have you found the most rewarding?

I did a paper in biology about Neanderthal/Homosapiens and the eventual extinction of Neanderthal man. I put a lot into the paper, and hope it is as good as I hope it to be. I also wrote a play in Professor Gilman’s class that I’m very proud of.

Anthony’s Featured Work: 

Read Anthony’s play, “Paroled,” from his RTVF363 class with Professor Rebecca Gilman:

“Paroled”

Read Anthony’s memorial piece for James Scott that was published on Mourning Our Losses:

memorial for James Scott

Read Anthony’s essays “Slow and Inadequate,” published in Scapi Magazine:

“Slow and Inadequate”

View Anthony’s artwork:

Prison Art Show