Building Skills in Investment Banking

Name: Max Emery

Year: Sophomore

Major: Economics and Statistics

CFS Class: Business Field Studies

Employer: Comprador

For my CFS Experience, I worked as an Investment Banking Intern with Comprador Ltd, the successor firm to Blackstone Advisory Partners Asia. Prior to this, I had one experience in investment banking from the previous summer, but I wanted to further develop some technical skills that I had begun learning. Luckily, this is exactly what was in store. I was immediately staffed on 3 live deals in China and the US where plenty of work needed to be done. Despite being an intern, I was given a surprising amount of responsibility in the work I produced in both the financial modelling and PowerPoint creating. This gave me the big picture for many of the deals we were working on. Namely, a deal we helped finance in exchange for a fee and equity was a carbon credit blockchain business in South America that was trying to reduce carbon emission by capitalizing on the cap-and-trade scheme where business need to by a number of carbon credits i.e., trees, to offset their emissions. This immediately reminded me of the BlackRock and Merchant of Doubt case studies where we discussed the corporate social responsibility of companies and whether or not profit was always the most important factor in a business. I initially thought it was but have learnt that businesses can make plenty of money while having a positive impact. I see this trend grow increasingly popular and potentially become a very important factor when thinking about investing in a business.