Exploring Engineering Through Internships

Name: Alexander Krasowski

Year: Senior

Major: Electrical Engineering

CFS Class: Business Field Studies

Employer: Chamberlain Group

I think every Engineer who has room in their McCormick theme plan should make many attempts to find an internship and do CFS. Taking CFS this quarter increased my employability and allowed me to explore another field of engineering before beginning my full-time job search. For me, CFS was the only way to do a non-summer internship. It allowed me to catch up and get ahead in technical experience by working on this role in Firmware Engineering.

In this role, I am working toward implementing two features on our team’s project. Through my daily work, I have taken the knowledge from my mechatronics and C++ classes and expanded it. I have also seen how engineers in industry use these tools to build marketable products. Most importantly, I have learned how to professionally use invaluable tools like Git while writing and organizing efficient and portable product-grade code.

While this technical project experience may seem blissful, it is also important for me to paint an all-encompassing picture of my journey leading up to CFS. More specifically, I want to display the difficulties and failures I first had when finding a non-summer engineering internship. A lot of hard work preceded my success: Nearly 50 job applications, several second-round interviews, and two-quarters of rejection before finally having this success. Keeping all of this in mind, I hope that any engineering student can become and remain motivated through the challenging but rewarding journey of becoming an engineer in CFS.