Learning the Ins and Outs of University Publishing

Name: Nerlande Adolphe

Year: Senior

Major: Legal Studies, English Literature

CFS Class: Field Studies in the Humanities

Employer: Northwestern University Press

My internship at Northwestern University Press has been an experience where I have been able to assume several responsibilities that double as learning experiences. I have been able to work on multiple projects that have required me to make judgments that my coworkers would either take into consideration or move on with their work solely based on what I’ve reported. This has mostly been the case when it comes to reading multiple manuscripts and figuring out if the manuscript fits with series in the Press’s catalog or with the catalog in general. I have also been tasked with creating peer reviewer recommendations for manuscripts under review. I’ve also had to do less exciting work like making contract packets, but even this work is insightful.

The office atmosphere is relaxed without too much hustle and bustle, and pretty much everyone has been nice and helpful. There are two people to whom I usually report, and they provide me helpful knowledge about the ins-and-outs about university publishing and publishing in general. There is a lot of jargon used but they make sure to explain the meanings to me.  Aside from their comments, I’ve also been able to learn more from tasks, particularly about publishing in academia and the varied and amazing work that scholars in individual fields have done. So far, my experience at my internship site has been informative and beneficial.