Meet CFS Alum: Moira

Name: Moira
Class of 2013
Major: History
Minor: International Studies
CFS Program: Business Field Studies

The program was great — I was able to learn a lot of new things through the BFS class and then apply what I learned in my respective internships and beyond into my professional future. The articles were very interesting and I leave the program a more knowledgeable individual with more insight into the world around me, and more specifically the business side of things.

The support I received from the Field Studies staff throughout the whole process was so helpful and made my experience a very rewarding one. CFS staff was always ready to step in on a student’s behalf, and I was so grateful for that.

[My instructor] is highly intelligent and had great insight into both business topics and “life” topics. He facilitated discussion very well, and kept sections moving and interesting. His articles were well-chosen and, I think, provided meaningful information concerning business and for our post-grad futures…I liked learning about an area I had little knowledge about coming into this class. While I am certain I will not pursue this area professionally, I was surrounded by very intelligent students and this forced me to rise to the occasion and delve into business topics I did not know that much about — I had to do my research and actively learn so I could participate in class and Blackboard discussions.

In the office, I worked a fair amount on the website, from writing blog posts to designing photo slideshows — this was an area I had little to no experience in and enjoyed very much. I also answered fan emails (both the good and the bad), interacted with promotions event winners, worked on inventory, worked on the audit files. I really did a wide range of tasks which was fun. At events, I assisted with set-up and take-down, the execution of the event, and interacted with people there.

The people I worked with on a day-to-day or event-to-event basis were really great. I received good direction and feedback from them. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly and genuinely wanted to get to know me on a personal basis, which I appreciated very much. The opportunity to really work on my interpersonal skills — with co-workers and with a wide range of people at the various events — was very valuable for me…The organization around XRT and radio in general is tougher than I imagined. It’s not an “easy” industry — there are a lot of hard work that goes on behind the scenes on a business level and a promotions level. But given the hard work, there are rewards of the industry. This is insight I will definitely take with me to my next steps after college. As far as radio is concerned I discovered that I was very interested in the programming side of things — the choice of playlists and which music is played when.