Staff Spotlight | Kim Corbin

Kim CorbinTitle: Assistant Director, Employer Recruiting

Department: Northwestern Career Advancement (NCA)

Where are you from?

I am from the South Side of Chicago. I grew up in the Hyde Park neighborhood.

What brought you to Student Affairs?
I recently completed National Service with Americorps where I worked with elementary school children in Atlanta Georgia and upon moving back to Chicago I realized that I wanted to continue to work in academia but with older students. I was familiar with Evanston and Northwestern since my grandparents lived in Evanston so I applied to work as a temporary employee at Northwestern. My first temporary assignment was in the department of Student Affairs and the rest is history.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?16

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?
My favorite part about working in Student Affairs is having the opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of students – specifically by assisting them during a critical time in their lives as they navigate their career search and by getting to know them personally as their supervisor.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
I would recommend that someone new to Student Affairs step outside of their office and get to know their colleagues across all departmental lines and to also explore the beautiful campus. I would also recommend taking advantage of the many campus events, concerts, speakers, exhibits at the Block and the professional development opportunities that are offered to staff.

What inspires you?
What inspires me? My children. Personally I embrace the challenges and learning curve of being a parent of two amazing college students that continue to inspire me in big and small ways daily- from going back to school for my graduate degree to learning the latest tiktok dance. There is no joy greater for me than being a mom.

What can’t you live without?
I can’t live without my reading glasses. I have several pairs that I have in the house, car, office and yet I still ask “has anybody seen my glasses?”

How do you like to spend your free time?
I spend my free time by having quality time with family and friends. I enjoy walking my dog Rolo, watching sports and HGTV.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
My favorite spot on campus is the Northwestern Beach on Lincoln Street.