Staff Spotlight: Brad Zakarin

Name: Brad Zakarin

Title: Director, Office of Residential Academic Initiatives

Department: Residential Services

Where are you from?  Miami, Florida

What brought you to Student Affairs?  I’ve always been involved in the residential aspects of higher education. I spent 12 years in live-in positions starting with two years as a Resident Counselor in college and concluding with four years as a Resident Dean after grad school. Becoming the first Director of the Office of Residential Academic Initiatives was a compelling opportunity to help shape the residential experience at Northwestern.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?  7

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?  Having spent most of my career at the nexus of academic affairs and student affairs, I enjoy being a broker of sorts between the two sides of the house so we can collaborate more effectively on improving the student experience.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?  Read. I check the Chronicle of Higher Education and Inside Higher Ed daily to stay current with news, perspectives, and scholarship. I also read books and journal articles as much as possible to ground my practice and strategic planning in research from various disciplines.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?  Spending seven years in live-in positions at a university with an undergraduate experience organized largely along residential lines made me a big believer in the value of delivering services to and building community among students where they live.

What inspires you?  I work at an institution where the sky is the limit. The vast majority of people in higher education can only dream of what we sometimes take for granted. On good days, I get to think big. On bad days, all I have to worry about is how we can stop tripping ourselves up.

What can’t you live without?  Coffee

How do you like to spend your free time?  Working

What’s your favorite spot on campus?  The front of Shepard Hall

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.