Staff Spotlight: Ronnie Toca

Name: Ronnie Toca

Title: Administrative Assistant

Department: Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs

Where are you from? Havana, Cuba

What brought you to Student Affairs? I wanted to gain a broader perspective on university life.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 1

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs? The people. One of my goals when I first moved to Chicago was to find community. Along with the chorus I sing in, I found community with the people I work with.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs? Connect with other departments. Map out how your role fits in the large network that supports our students.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career? Music and language continue to challenge and inspire me.

What inspires you? Dramatic works of art, minimalist aesthetics, and poignant works of literature, poetry, & music have been persistent drivers in my life.

What can’t you live without? I want to rephrase this question and answer what I live for. I live for music, for language, for my friends, and for my mother and father.

How do you like to spend your free time? Reading, writing, listening to music, and bingeing on a good show.

What’s your favorite spot on campus? The floor to ceiling window in the Ryan Center for Musical Arts.

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.