Staff Spotlight: Jenny Douglas

Name: Jenny Douglas

Title: Assistant Director, Operations & Services

Department: Residential Services

Where are you from? Palos Park, IL

What brought you to Student Affairs?
I started in Student Affairs as a Resident Director in Fall 2013 and was lured in by the opportunity to work with a team whose goals included creating a meaningful residential experience for some of the brightest students in the world.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 6

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?
In my first year as an RD at Northwestern I got the opportunity to engage in several challenging conversations with RAs that prompted the team to think about what we wanted to be known for and what we wanted our legacy to be. Sometimes it’s hard to know if the choice to dive in to the dirt is worth it, but at the end of the year the staff said “She has taught us to hold ourselves and each other accountable for our responsibilities while simultaneously developing strong, lasting friendships.” I keep this sentence visible to remind me that respectful, open discussions are worth it in the long run even when it seems like there might be an easier way out.

What inspires you?
The potential of others inspires me. I love being able to improve processes and procedures in a way that makes things easier for students and staff so that they can engage in more developmental work – I want to build you the most solid base to Maslow’s hierarchy you’ve ever seen!!

How do you like to spend your free time?
Watching sports and playing board games are my idea of a fun time. This year, I want to attend one event for every Northwestern athletic team, so let me know if you care to join!

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.