Honoring Rhea Banks

Below we share some memories and thoughts honoring our beloved colleague from staff and former NUSAC colleagues. Additional information celebrating Rhea’s impact and contributions on the University and the Northwestern community can be found on Northwestern Now.

Rhea was Chair of NUSAC when I joined in 2018. She had an aura of positivity about her, this light that was infectious, genuine, and most of all, kind. Rhea sincerely cared about the staff experience at Northwestern, and she will be considerably missed! Hugs to Rhea’s family and law school colleagues.– Stephanie Simko

Dear Rhea,

Thank you for being an amazing best friend, and champion. Thank you for loving and accepting me for exactly how I showed up. Thank you for literally going everywhere with me. You always showed up no matter what or where.  Every time you walk into a room you always made others feel special. From your bright beautiful smile to your fierce passion for remembering every important date and milestone in everyone’s life. I still don’t know how you managed to always remember everyone’s special something. Thank you for always fighting the good fight and making sure everyone was seen, heard, and had a seat at the table. I’m not sure how and why I was so blessed to have you in my life. There were times when you believed in me more than I believed in myself. There is so much more that I would say to you but I can’t form the words right now. You are my best friend and I’ll always love you. Every time I see a butterfly soaring across the sky I’ll smile and think of you. Come on, let’s go.

Love always – Tracey Gibson-Jackson

Committed. Passionate. Diplomatic Warrior. Advocate. Exceptional Black Woman. All accurate and powerful descriptors of the late Rhea Banks. I had the privilege of serving on NUSAC with Rhea, first as a peer, then as my chair, and when I became chair of the council, my mentor. With Rhea there were no secrets: she loved working at Northwestern, her colleagues at the law school and the students she supported.  She knew that Northwestern could, should, and would be an exceptional place to work for frontline staff.  Her commitment to give voice to the concerns and needs of staff was unwavering.  She was always pleasant, always prepared, and she will be greatly missed – Kimberley Cornwell

Rhea Banks was one of my favorite people at Northwestern. From the moment I met her she was welcoming, full of energy, and approachable. Her laugh was contagious, and she always greeted me with a hug.  With her encouragement and support I was able become part of NUSAC, the best thing I have ever done while at NU. Rhea was what we all wanted to be: an advocate, a cheerleader, an ambassador, a friend. I am privileged to have known her. – Nate Daigle

Rhea was not just a bright light but a warm and enduring light. She had the rare ability to connect soul-to-soul and bring people together. I am so thankful for the years I spent on NUSAC with her and to have had the opportunity to collaborate with her just this past Jan 2024. My heart breaks knowing that was the last time I will be in her presence and hear her laugh; my heart breaks for her family, friends, and our world. Rest well friend. – Amy Hauenstein

Rhea was a sparkle in human form. She was the kind of person who knew everyone and remembered all the details about them- asking after family or about an event discussed the last time you met- even if it was months ago. She always had a smile and a laugh to share and her dedication to Northwestern was unmatched. Her impact and her legacy at Northwestern will continue on, and she will be missed. -Julie Jenkins

It’s a hard task to try and capture how amazing Rhea was. It feels truly wrong to be writing in the past tense for someone who had such presence. Rhea was a force in all things that mattered to her. Yes, she was brilliant and wise beyond her years, but that pales in comparison to the incredible friend she was to so many people.

When I first met Rhea, she was chairing NUSAC, and I had just joined the council. Admittedly I thought I wasn’t smart enough or equipped enough to be a member, but Rhea did as only Rhea could do, and she helped remove my doubts. She encouraged me, provided space for my ideas, and she showed me that I belonged. One of my first memories of her was watching her lead a council meeting and I remember being in awe. She had a commanding presence and used it to be a fierce advocate for staff at Northwestern – usually in rooms with the people twice her age and experience. But there she was, showing leaders how to lead. She demonstrated in every way how to lead with empathy, compassion, strength, integrity, and grace to name a few. She was truly inspiring.

As many who share stories about Rhea will say, she was a friend like no other. She made you feel special and if she cared for you, you knew it. She had the most incredible smile and her face lit up when she saw you, in the most genuine way. She was that person you always hoped to run in to on campus. I regret so much that I won’t have the opportunity to tell her how she impacted my life. Rhea introduced me to so many incredible colleagues that I now call friends. She empowered me and others to be confident in our leadership abilities – to hone in on our talents and most importantly to lead with empathy and compassion. I truly hope that Rhea felt and knew how much she meant to me. And while I will never be able to tell her all the ways that she made me a better person, I will absolutely endeavor to be more like her. To lead like her, to show empathy like her, to give grace like her, to resemble strength like her and most importantly to check in on the people I care about.

Rhea, I miss you. May you rest in peace.

-Yael Mayer

A note to my dear friend, Rhea

I will miss you calling me ‘Hey, Ms. Toni.’
I will miss you saying, ‘Love you’; ‘Thanks for all you do for us.’
I will miss your hugs and your lovely smile.
I will miss  you texting me ‘Hope you are doing well’ or ‘Are you available for a chat at …’;
I will miss your jokes and your laughter.
I will miss your thoughtfulness when someone is hurting and your offer of, ‘Would y’all like me to get a group greeting card so we can show them some Love.’

Although you are no longer here in person, I will never forget you in spirit.
My heart is filled with these memories forever.
My sister, by another mother, is now an angel in heaven.

-Toni Montgomery

It is difficult to put into words the impact that Rhea had on my and so many others’ lives. Rhea was not just a colleague but a friend, mentor and a beacon of light at Northwestern. I was so fortunate to get to know Rhea through NUSAC. From our random chats on the Northwestern bus to and from Evanston to the NUSAC events we worked – she was always dedicated and passionate. Rhea was inspiring; being near her was infectious. She approached everything with enthusiasm and a drive for excellence that motivated me and everyone around to do better. Through Rhea’s kindness, warmth, and larger than life laugh, it had a way of making everyone feel valued and appreciated.

Rhea’s absence leaves a void that cannot be filled; but her spirit will continue to live on in my and our memories. I am so grateful for the time I had with Rhea. You will be so missed, but never forgotten.  

– Melanie Mkrdichian