April 2024 NUSAC Member Spotlight

Our April 2024 NUSAC Member Spotlight is Rebecca Erickson, Senior Clinical Veterinarian, Center for Comparative Medicine, Office for Research

Name: Rebecca Erickson
Title: Senior Clinical Veterinarian
LINKEDIN: www.linkedin.com/in/rebecca-erickson-79b52834 
Unit and School/College: Center for Comparative Medicine, Office for Research
Year Started at Northwestern University: 2016
Year Joined the NUSAC Council: 2021

Why did you join NUSAC? I decided to join NUSAC during the pandemic. My unit is composed mostly of essential staff who provide on-site animal care 365 days a year. Witnessing the dedication of our team showing up every day in the face of COVID and civil unrest highlighted the particular challenges of our work environment and compelled me to champion all our essential workers to ensure their efforts are recognized and their concerns are heard.

What is the most important thing your NU staff colleagues should know about NUSAC? We want you to join us! We recruit new members every year during our spring Membership Drive. Please consider applying to join a diverse and passionate group of council members and help us advocate for our fellow staff.

What issue are you most passionate about related to improving the NU experience for staff? Improving transparency at all levels. University and unit leaders are critical to embracing organizational transparency, but we can all work to foster a culture of trust and open communication.

What do you most enjoy about your work at Northwestern? Every day I get to learn about the pioneering biomedical research performed at Northwestern, and I’m constantly amazed at the innovation of our faculty, students, and staff. I love the challenge of helping researchers refine their animal models to accomplish their scientific objectives while ensuring optimal animal welfare.

What is a little-known fun fact about you? I played flute in the NU Marching Band throughout undergrad. Go ‘Cats!