June 2023 NUSAC Member Spotlight

Our June 2023 NUSAC Member Spotlight is Beth Tucker, Program Advisor, Northwestern Career Advancement

Name: Beth Tucker
Title:  Program Advisor, Operations
Unit and School/College: Student Affairs/Northwestern Career Advancement
Years at Northwestern University: 8
Years on NUSAC Council:  2

Why did you join NUSAC?  Prior to working at Northwestern, I worked in the Human Resources field and have always had a strong interest in creating positive work environments as way to enhance employee productivity and commitment. I felt that NUSAC’s ability to influence change, as well as Northwestern’s senior leadership’s commitment to this group, provided an exciting opportunity to contribute to enhancing the work environment and employee satisfaction at Northwestern.

What is the most important thing your NU staff colleagues should know about NUSAC?  We are here to amplify staff voices. We have regular conversations with senior management and can provide feedback and advocacy when necessary.

What issue are you most passionate about related to improving the NU experience for staff?  The benefits are really what brought me to Northwestern initially, so I’d like to make sure we continue to offer top of the line benefits as a way to attract and retain employees. I also am passionate about opportunities for career progression.

What do you most enjoy about your work at Northwestern? Northwestern has great people – wonderful colleagues and amazing students. There is an opportunity to get involved outside of your immediate department and get to know more people across the university – like my work on NUSAC.

What is a little-known fun fact about you?  I help run a weekly soup kitchen in Evanston.