February 2023 NUSAC Member Spotlight

Our February 2023 NUSAC Member Spotlight is Valerie Smith, Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions

Name: Valerie Smith

Title: Associate Director of Admission

LINKEDIN: https://www.linkedin.com/in/valerie-smith/

Unit and School/College: Office of Undergraduate Admission, Provost’s Office

Years at Northwestern University: Five as a staff member + one as a graduate student in SESP.

Years on NUSAC Council: Three

Why did you join NUSAC? I joined NUSAC to advocate for my fellow staff members, support a strong relationship between staff and University leadership, and connect and learn from colleagues across the University. Northwestern is such a large and complex place, and NUSAC has been a great way to feel connected and get to know the University community outside of my office.

What is the most important thing your NU staff colleagues should know about NUSAC? NUSAC is a group created by staff, for staff. It’s a community of fellow staff members in a variety of different roles who understand the day-in, day-out experience of working at Northwestern. NUSAC members are deeply committed to making that experience as positive, productive, and inclusive as it possibly can be for everyone. It’s a fun and approachable group, so don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have a question or idea.

What issue are you most passionate about related to improving the NU experience for staff? Northwestern offers a lot of great benefits for staff members, and I care about making sure that staff are aware of all that is available to them and know how to take advantage of benefit programs and opportunities.

What do you most enjoy about your work at Northwestern? Working alongside my talented, compassionate, optimistic, and innovative colleagues is the best part of my job. I love the energy of our campus community and the opportunity to engage with so many exciting aspects of college life: athletic events, visiting speakers, student performances and more.

What is a little-known fun fact about you? When I’m not at work, you can usually find me out and about in Evanston. I love running along the lakefront and exploring local restaurants and coffee shops. Evanston Pour on Dempster is a newer favorite!