February NUSAC Member Spotlight

Our February NUSAC Member Spotlight is Sabrina Flowers, Business Administration for the Office of Student Finance.

Name: Sabrina Flowers
Title: Business Administrator 2
Unit and School/College: Student Finance
Years at Northwestern University: On and off for 30 years
Years on NUSAC Council: 3 years

Why did you join NUSAC? NUSAC has an excellent track record of leading change and promoting collaboration across schools and units. I want to be a part of this leadership team that:

• continues to listen to staff concerns
  • provide solutions that benefit our staff and senior management
  • allow both parties to exist as partners

Tell us a little about your role as Business Administrator for Student Finance. I support the office of 30+ staff members. As a member of the Strategic Planning team, I am instrumental in providing collaboration, staff development and assisting with day-to-day functions that encourage open dialogue between staff and management as well as handling the financials.

What issues are you most passionate about related to improving the NU experience for staff?  I have a few. However, the more immediate issues that concern me is getting back to some normalcy since COVID. Since so many staff have been working remotely and are now starting to transition back to the office, we need to connect staff to the many resources available to them to adjust to feeling safe on campus. The NU wellness team provides a lot of information and resources to assist.

What do you most enjoy about your work at Northwestern? I enjoy being allowed the freedom by my managers to work on and bring up topics of interest to our team.  I also have their support on projects I am already working on. They know when they give me a task to complete it is done and done correctly.

What is a little-known fun fact about you? Since my family is older now and we were confined to our homes due to COVID, I took up hula-hooping.  I have always wanted to do it since a child but sadly still it’s a work in progress, but it’s good exercise!