Human Computer Interaction
Instructor: Prof. Michael Horn
Monday: History of HCI, graphic user interfaces, usability, rapid prototyping, user-centered design.
Wednesday: Future of HCI.
- What is a graphical user interface? Why is it an important idea?
- What are some of the key ideas and principles for designing graphical user interfaces, as illustrated by Ivan Sutherland?
- Why is rapid prototyping important? Come up with examples of mediums, methods, and tools you can use to prototype a graphical user interface (e.g. for a new web interface/service).
- In your opinion, what are some criteria that make a user interface usable? For each criteria, give an example of a system you know that violate the criteria, and one that does a good job of satisfying it.
- What are the innovative aspects of Scratch as a programming language?
- Why does Victor believe touch screen interfaces are not the future of design?
Readings and Media:
- (VIDEO) Sketchpad Demo, Ivan Sutherland, YouTube, 1963.
- The Coming Age of Calm Technology, Weiser and Brown, www.ubiq.com, October 1996.
- (VIDEO) Rapid Prototyping Google Glass, Tom Chi, TED Talk, 2013.