Culture of Mentorship

Name: Jack Wan

Year: Sophomore

Major: Cognitive Science

Minor: Business Institutions

CFS Class: Business Field Studies

Employer: NextGen Growth Partners

This Fall, I worked at NextGen Growth Partners, a private equity firm based in Chicago. I would recommend CFS for all sophomores going into finance, because not only did it prepare me for behavioral & technical interviews, it also made my resume competitive when applying to clubs and business fraternities on campus. Working remotely definitely had its drawbacks – productivity and staying connected with my coworkers have been challenging on certain days. Nevertheless, our team still worked together and produced great deliverables. I am grateful for my co-workers because all of them are so reachable; I could text them anytime, and we would hop onto a call within no time. The most memorable moment of my internship so far is getting into a business call with my supervisor just to work on an M&A pitch for a club at Northwestern; this really demonstrates the culture of mentorship at NGP. One key takeaway from my internship is definitely the idea of you get out what you put in. I took the time to bond with my fellow interns and supervisors, and the results are clear. Lastly, the weekly seminars with Professor Wieda are a wonderful addition to the internship. It is both a time to connect with my peers as well as to engage in thought-provoking conversations.