Autonomy as an Intern

Name: Matt Goldschmidt

Year: Sophomore

Major: Computer Science and Economics

CFS Class: Business Field Studies

Employer: CDI Global

Over the fall of 2020, I interned at CDI Global, a middle-market M&A shop that specializes in cross-border transactions. My experience has been nothing short of amazing. I have been given the autonomy to take the lead on deals across a variety of industries including healthcare (Pharma, Life Sciences, and Medical Devices), industrials (Specialty Chemical, Agrochemical, and Cosmetic Manufacturing), technology (SaaS and Capacitors), and energy (Oilfield Services). I have collaborated with partners at the firms branches in Italy, Spain, Canada, Japan, Uruguay, India, Colombia, Poland, and the UK which has exposed me to a wide array of business cultures across the world. Even as an intern, I was able to work on identifying potential targets, developing teasers and approach letters, sending out approaches, building Confidential Information Memoranda, constructing pitch decks for client meetings, and doing industry and market research. I was also given the opportunity to have speaking roles on client calls and being the primary point of contact with various clients. The deal exposure I gained will undoubtedly be invaluable towards my recruitment process.

Indubitably, however, the biggest advantage to an internship at CDI is the mentorship and connection I have built with the managing director, Jeff Schmidt. Apart from his well-touted lunch recommendations, Jeff advised me directly on all of the deals I worked on, guiding me through any confusion I had on anything, work related or otherwise. He was accommodating of any issues that arose and truly is what makes the internship at CDI so valuable.