Kevin Reflects on His Internship As Spring CFS Wraps Up

on

kevin-huangName: Kevin

Junior

Major: Industrial Engineering

CFS Concentration: Business Field Studies

As a CFS Spring 2014 intern on week 9 of the internship, I’ve really enjoyed my work because of the people I’ve met and the learning experience I’m getting by dabbling in many things. I would say the three greatest things about this internship are:

1. Learning excel and all the shortcuts (which is very applicable as a college student with no experience with excel)

2. Getting to understand the whole project cycle from start to finish
(I.E 50% of the work is gathering/formatting the data, 25% is analysis, 25% is presentation)

3. Actually doing relevant analysis that gets displayed in business cases to clients

As a current intern staffed on a relevant project, I’m able to work on a specific project with a top 20 law firm and actively see results from my analysis. Some days can be pretty slow but it depends on whether you’re also open-minded and looking to help other project groups since there is always work to go around.

I’ve also been meeting up with people within the firm to get a better understanding of their backgrounds. A lot of them have had varied experiences and great advice that can help further your own careers. After talking to an accountant, investment banker, and consultants, I’ve been able to get a broader sense of the business world in all aspects – from culture to the type of work people do. As a huge proponent of the CFS program, I believe that every student at Northwestern should take CFS and have the opportunity to experience the work culture away from school.

Additionally, there’s free snacks every day and free breakfast every second Friday of the month which is a huge plus!