Explore Feelings at the Senior Art Show

Video, pottery, posters, a pillow, and a mirror.

These are just some of the materials that make up the Senior Art Show. The exhibition features the work of three artists as they explore the construction of identity and how we interact with the world around us. All are seniors – Daniel Eghdami, Isabel Ngan, and Heiwon Shin – in the Department of Art Theory and Practice who will receive their degrees this month. 

The exhibit is open until June 17th during Dittmar hours (10 a.m.- 10 p.m. every day).  

Here is Isabel Ngan’s take on her work: 

My work in the show really looks at the way hair both defines and shapes our lives through emotional reactions. In Hair, I wanted this piece to confront the viewer when walking into the space to make aware the choice one takes when interacting with the piece. Do you walk through it? Around it? Under it? I wanted the interaction with hair to illustrate the dichotomies of how hair is seen on one’s body and off one’s body and also emphasize and heighten the way we see hair.

In the series Un-Removed, I wanted the interaction with hair to illustrate the dichotomies of how hair is seen on one’s body and off one’s body and also emphasize and heighten the way we see hair. In the series Un-Removed,  I wanted to explore the re-placing of hair that society has to remove in a fashionable and external way, so hair is seen as beautiful again.