Kingston Mines

I waited outside Kingston Mines, one of the most popular blues clubs in Chicago, in a long line on an unseasonably warm night in October. As I stood and waited with my friend, a man screamed in a raspy voice to the line about the price of admission and thanked everyone for their patience. I walked in and immediately heard some of the most impressive guitar playing I have ever heard. As I made my way to the dancing area in front of the stage, I spotted a painted white sign with the name of the performer: Joanna Connor. At the time, I did not realize that she is one of the premier blues guitarists in the entire country. Additionally, I was shocked to see that the man in the raspy voice was singing alongside Connor for the entirety of her set.

Kingston Mines is unique in its contradictions. While some of its patrons are true blues fans, it seemed like the majority were tourists and north siders that simply want to drink with friends and listen to good music.  Upwards of eighty percent of the venue is devoted to tables for the audience to passively listen to these magnificent blues bands, eat, and socialize. The music suits this type of setting, as it is mostly instrument based and repetitive. But, the quality of performers is so high that it feels wrong to have such a large contingent of people without sufficient blues knowledge (like me). Also, the giant souvenir stand that occupies a large space in the front of this historic venue takes away from its overall authenticity. Although it may not be the pinnacle of blues appreciation, it is extraordinarily fun. There is a distinct positive, upbeat energy, great food, and friendly people in Kingston Mines.

Part of the appeal of Kingston Mines comes from its charm. The wood paneling and green shutters make the setting feel like a gigantic (it is one of the biggest blues clubs in Chicago) cabin. There are items that evoke a sense of nostalgia sprinkled throughout Kingston Mines, from its neon beer signs shaped as guitars to its painted maps of the Midwest. These contribute to the comfortability and quaintness of the setting, and also remind visitors that Kingston Mines has been a vital part of the Chicago music scene for almost a half century.

Image result for kingston minesIt has been open since 1968 and is still family owned and operated by the Pellegrino family. The man I saw outside the club with the raspy voice was no other than Frank Pellegrino, owner of the club. It occupies a unique place in Chicago blues history. Blues started in Chicago around the 1920’s, during the dramatic growth of black neighborhoods during the Great Migration. During the 50’s, blues flourished on the South Side and West Side, producing talents like Muddy Waters and Little Walter. When blues lost much of its popularity in the 60’s with the growth of soul, gospel, and other genres of black popular music, many of the popular blues clubs from the golden era closed.[1]

Following the decline of blues’ in popular music, clubs serving tourists and predominantly white patrons became more prevalent in Chicago on the South, North, and West side. The ubiquity of white faces in Kingston Mines is immediately noticeable. This venue is indeed a reminder of the white appropriation of blues music, a genre that persisted in black culture through decades of racism and oppression. This undeniable fact leaves a bad taste in your mouth. When you see that crowd at your concert consists of a vast majority of white North Siders, it feels uncomfortable. But, it may give you a bit of consolation that this tremendously popular spot gives talented blues artists a consistent audience and new ears to listen to their beautiful music. Whichever way one experiences this Chicago landmark, it definitely does not disappoint with moral conundrums and impressive music.

[1] “Blues.” Blues. Encyclopedia of Chicago, n.d. Web. 21 Nov. 2016. <http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/151.html>.

647 Comments

• annareishus commented on November 27, 2016 Reply

I think it’s interesting that you chose to write about a place of performance rather than a particular performance itself. The venue becomes part of the performance because the atmosphere mingles interwoven with the music. Your description and vivid pictures made the place come alive, and this was a joy to read. I also appreciated how you brought in history about blues music, leading into how this spot (and blues music) has unfortunately fallen pray to appropriation. I think it’s good to consider the negatives that come along with this lively and accessible way to enjoy music, and you balanced the nuances of this sort of situation well.

• Bussiness Sale commented on March 8, 2024 Reply

This is a fantastic piece! Your unique focus on the venue itself creates a fresh perspective on the blues music experience.

Strengths of the Analysis:
      Focus on the Venue: You acknowledge the writer’s “interesting” choice to focus on the “place of performance” rather than a specific performance. This highlights a unique approach.
      Venue as Part of the Performance: You appreciate how the writer portrays the “atmosphere mingling interwoven with the music”, making the venue “part of the performance”. This is an insightful observation.
      Vivid Description: The “vivid descriptions and pictures” are praised for bringing the “place alive”. This creates a strong visual element in the writing.
      Historical Context: You acknowledge the inclusion of “history about blues music” leading into the discussion of “appropriation”. This demonstrates a well-rounded analysis.
      Balancing Nuances: You commend the writer for “balancing the nuances” of the situation, acknowledging both the “lively and accessible” aspects and the “negatives” of appropriation.
      Overall, your comment is insightful and engaging. It highlights the unique focus, the way the venue is integrated with the performance, the vivid description, the historical context, and the balanced exploration of the complex relationship between accessibility and appropriation.

khalidelarbi
      ————————————
      Online Marketing Analysis

business for sale

• kerem commented on April 1, 2024 Reply

En Yeni Kış bahçesi Sistemleri ile Siz de Yaşam Alanlarınızı Mevsim Sınırsız Kullanın. ky? bahçesi

• kerahan commented on April 1, 2024 Reply
    • derman commented on April 1, 2024 Reply
    • warner commented on April 1, 2024 Reply
    • evren commented on April 1, 2024 Reply

Sineklik Plise Perde Sistemleri Uygun Fiyatlı Çok Çeşitli Hizmetler Sunmaktadır. sineklik

• ramazan commented on April 1, 2024 Reply

Evinizi, bahçenizi genişletmek, yeni m2 eklemek için cam balkon modellerinde onlarca değişik çözüm var. bulut cam balkon

• selcan commented on April 1, 2024 Reply

En yakin Ataşehir tesisatçı firmasi

• serkan commented on April 1, 2024 Reply

Dış sesleri içeri geçirmez, hafiftir, alüminyum doğrama görselliği ile de oldukça estetiktir.

• Daniel Fernandez commented on November 29, 2016 Reply

Your description of Kingston Mines kind of reminds me of the House of Blues in downtown Chicago, which I went to with an out-of-town friend a few nights ago. I think it’s often difficult to decide how exactly one should approach music in the context of a restaurant or a broader entertainment apparatus since it can often feel more like a commercialized spectacle rather than an authentic and deeply personal experience (something Blues, in particular, tends to hone-in on a great deal). In particular, I wonder why you felt uncomfortable with Kingston Mines as a venue or why you did not belong: What about it was uninviting or seemingly exclusive? How does history figure into our appreciation of performance?

• Jae Kim commented on December 12, 2016 Reply

Hey Joe!

This piece was quite historical and I really liked this approach. I believe learning about the place, the crowd, and the history are more conducive to understanding the general characteristics of performances. It had some personal voices, yet still was structured very professionally. You smoothly took us with you through the entrance, and began to talk about the venue, the crowd, and its history. I do think you could have included a little more about the technical details, tone, and the choice of music. But overall, I enjoyed reading this. Thank you!

• Alice Shao commented on March 16, 2022 Reply

Trumonde Textile Company is among the top creators of Mens bamboo t shirts in China. We give all the help and sponsorship to assist with fostering our clients working in the apparel business. Whether you are a limited scale business, fire up, or running a multi-million attire store, we have the fitting enhancements to assist you with developing monetarily.

• Betmate commented on May 13, 2022 Reply

배팅의성지먹튀검증 안전한메이저

• penef51442 commented on June 3, 2022 Reply

Here is a simple guide to KFC Experience Survey Here, you can get KFC Customer Experience Survey Rules, Conditions, and other details on MyKFCExperience Survey.

• casinositeone.JDS commented on June 12, 2022 Reply

You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. 온라인카지노

• thomas111acvb commented on June 23, 2022 Reply

Some of its customers are serious blues lovers, but most are tourists and north siders who just want to drink and listen to music. geometry dash

• David Jon commented on June 30, 2022 Reply

Wish you all the best for your new upcoming articles and kindly write on topic Ecommerce website and also on Logo Design thanks.

• singed1 commented on July 23, 2022 Reply

you will feel that it is “unreasonably difficult” and just like that you are absorbed in the game, you frantically plow the country in inhibitions and anger… Flappy Bird

• Betmate commented on August 13, 2022 Reply

안전보장+다양한플레이 먹튀검증 안전노리터 go

• henny commented on August 13, 2022 Reply

Thanks for posting this post. I like it quordle

• klaieu commented on August 15, 2022 Reply

It is wonderful to be here with everyone, I have a lot of knowledge from what you share, to say thank you, the information and knowledge here helps me a lot nytimes wordle

• maryu commented on August 15, 2022 Reply

• Stri Plots commented on August 22, 2022 Reply

I love how relaxing 2048 game is, and how clean the simple design is.

• Stri Plots Plots Plots commented on August 22, 2022 Reply

I love how relaxing 2048 game is, and how clean the simple design is. ..

• Quordle commented on September 20, 2022 Reply

I appreciate this article. I have this website that can help you spades online

• Logo Design Best UK commented on November 8, 2022 Reply

Wish you all the best for your new upcoming articles and kindly write on topic Logo Design thanks.

• Jessica Milligan commented on November 14, 2022 Reply

If you want to have a fun vacation, after which you will have a lot of emotions and memories, then you should go on a road trip, the first advantage of which is complete freedom in choosing the route, as well as amazing views. Even if you do not have a car, you can go to Rental24h.com and rent a car in which you will spend a wonderful weekend

• Harry Jack commented on November 23, 2022 Reply

Thank you for sharing this excellent article. Your blog is fantastic and to the point. This website is very well-made and user-friendly. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. The Expendables 4 Jacket Thank you for visiting my webpage.

• jaeseu commented on December 7, 2022 Reply

I found this post very interesting and informative.
    Thank you for sharing your special thoughts with us. I definitely share this with my peeps.
    Visit this and have fun !

제이나인 온라인 카지노 사이트
    제이나인 안전 카지노 사이트
    제이나인 카지노 검증 사이트
    제이나인 카지노 게임 사이트
    제이나인 라이브 카지노
    https://www.j9korea.com

• drawdata commented on December 7, 2022 Reply

The staff at the hostel I stayed in near Kingston Mines recommended this location dinosaur game. It was my first time in a blues bar, and I fell in love with it instantly. I will return promptly.

• Trilaen commented on December 26, 2022 Reply

Great Blog. The best SMS backup app for android is iMazing. It is a powerful tool that allows you to save, transfer and manage your text messages, iMessages, attachments, and more. It is simple to use and offers a secure, cloud-free backup option.

• joginder commented on December 28, 2022 Reply

A global event that inspires, engages, entertains,

• lid zulus commented on December 30, 2022 Reply

very interesting, good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog.

Myhdfs App

• BenefitsCal commented on January 4, 2023 Reply

Nice one
    BenefitsCal

• casinositekim commented on January 8, 2023 Reply

Continue to send in more valuable and astonishing information on your blog so that we enjoy it. 카지노사이트킴

• Galaxyslot commented on January 6, 2024 Reply

You’re still running a good site.JILI WALLET

• joker gaming commented on January 24, 2023 Reply

I’m curious to find out what blog system you joker gaming happen to be utilizing? I’m having some minor security issues with my latest site and I would like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

• joker commented on January 24, 2023 Reply

I was recommended this website by joker my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You are amazing! Thanks!

• เครดิตฟรี 50 commented on January 24, 2023 Reply

I am really enjoying the theme/design เครดิตฟรี 50 of your web site. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A number of my blog audience have complained about my website not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?

• simiriti pandey commented on January 25, 2023 Reply

We believe that intimacy is about so much more than just traditional intercourse. That’s why our skilled and vibrant escorts are proficient in a wide range of pleasures to satisfy all of your desires Delhi call girls cash payment.

• stella jones commented on February 6, 2023 Reply

Kingston Mines is a great place to be entertained with many great bands. Apart from that, their fashions are also good but the trending fashion right now is this Princess Diana Philadelphia Eagles Jacket.

• Jonny Dave commented on February 8, 2023 Reply

When is visited Chicago. I have listen this man voice. It was very lovely. I really like it very much and thank you for sharing this blog. Now it’s time to avail Luxury Limo Services in Long Beach CA for more information.

• Quardle commented on February 14, 2023 Reply

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful regards. Quardle

• Wordle Bot commented on February 14, 2023 Reply

Thank you so much for such an informative article. Wordle Bot

• bensonclark commented on February 17, 2023 Reply

Thanks for sharing this best stuff with us! Keep sharing! I am new to blog writing. All types of blogs and posts are not helpful for the readers. Here the author is giving good thoughts and suggestions to each and every reader through this article. literature-essay Quality of the content is the i need an assignment main element of the blog and this is the way of writing and presenting.

• Davit Jack commented on February 17, 2023 Reply

That is additionally a very ghost patrick power leather jacket good article that I absolutely loved reading. It is not every day that I am getting to look at something like this. Desire you may have many extra top articles to share with us.

• mudasir commented on February 24, 2023 Reply

Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info. Los Angeles Lakers

• Sean Jackson commented on March 2, 2023 Reply

I am a student of marketing and management in your university. I am pleased to be here and hope you will give me an opportunity to discuss my ideas about this topic. Philadelphia Eagles Jacket

• Alexis Rodger commented on March 13, 2023 Reply

I really happy found this website eventually.. Really informative and inspirative !!Thanks for the post and effort ! Please keep sharing more such article. I’ve really like your blog and inspire me in many ways. Ted Lasso Jacket

• ดูหนังออนไลน์ commented on March 13, 2023 Reply

You have a unique perspective on the world that I greatly admire. เว็บดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี 24 ชั่วโมง

• Bigo88 commented on March 14, 2023 Reply

Slot Online Gaming is one of the many online slot game provider sites with bets applying authentic Indonesian money.
    On this page you will not only be able to enjoy slot games online.

• Madu88 commented on March 14, 2023 Reply

The most famous Game Slot Online which can be the main choice for you is the Joker123 game which has been present in Indonesia for a long time around 2000 and has lasted forever.
    This game is famous for its very striking yellow logo.

• Dewataspin commented on March 14, 2023 Reply

Dewataspin is the first online slot agent to use the best undeductible credit deposit slot system that provides trusted online slot games with
    Rtp Slot Gacor in Indonesia. Only by using 1 ID, you can hardly play various games.

• Gaspoll88 commented on March 14, 2023 Reply

Gaspoll88 is Game Slot Gacor the best undeductible credit deposit that provides
    trusted online slot games with the highest RTP in Indonesia.
    Gaspoll88 provides easy transactions for those of you who want to play, such as transactions between local banks,
    e-wallets and via credit without deductions.

• Gigaspin88 commented on March 14, 2023 Reply

Gigaspin88 the first agent for Game Slot Gacor in Indonesia, to make it easier for members to make transactions now.
    It can be said that the Gigaspin88 slot agent is the best and most trusted provider so far.

• Kudabet commented on March 14, 2023 Reply

Kudabet is The Most Trusted Agen Slot Tergacor Di Indonesia which is a type of provider that is easy to play.
    It can be said that the Trusted Slot Agent in Indonesia is one of the best gacor slot sites.
    Usually beginners will start their first bet by playing their favorite game. Why is that?

• Tarunabola commented on March 14, 2023 Reply

Sebelum Bergabung di situs Bandar online terpercaya, TARUNABOLA adalah salah satu pilihan yang tepat untuk dilakukan.
    Pasalnya anda akan bisa mendapatkan jaminan permainan yang 100% aman dan fair play, akses permainan nya bisa dilakukan dengan menggunakan Handphone dan PC,
    Disini kami juga menyediakan BOCORAN SLOT dengan RTP TerUpdate Setiap harinya,
    Selain itu kami juga menyediakan transaksi deposit tidak hanya menggunakan rekening bank saja,
    tapi juga bisa menggunakan pulsa, dan juga e_wallet.

• https://envoytoken.io/ commented on March 14, 2023 Reply

The weather suddenly got cold these days. You should be careful not to catch a cold in this weather. This cold is so powerful that it suffers a lot. Let’s be prepared for a cold wave.https://envoytoken.io

• SPORTSTOTOHOTCOM commented on March 15, 2023 Reply

thanks i am a lot of user your resources 스포츠토토핫