No Loitering: Jaar’s Radical Approach to the Museum Photograph & Film

Sound of Silence Installation

Sound of Silence Installation

In the MCA’s photography exhibition WITNESS, the museum draws from its permanent collection to depict the photographer as both artist and spectator- an exploration of the finite encounter behind the photograph rather than the infinite interpretations the photograph evokes. The exhibition attempts to flesh out the moment between subject and artist, navigating the concept of gaze independent from a camera lens. However, as I passed the conveniently timed Kerry James Marshall photograph and noticed the irony of the Cindy Sherman pieces, the idea of WITNESS began to unfold as a vague concept used to dust off an amazing collection. I imagined the curator being dealt a jumble of photographs from a Scrabble pile and told to thematically string them together to win the game.

But then I saw the Triple Word Score in the gallery, the artwork where it all clicked, the piece which had to inform the concept if not the entire idea for the exhibition: Alfredo Jaar’s 2006 installation The Sound of Silence.

Tucked in the back corner of the gallery, through a miniature hallway, lies Jaar’s major installation. The front facing wall of the metal cube fills the entire room with a sterile light. The sight floats lightly in the bare space. Its glow not enchanting but instead mystifying, implying a distance to be kept before approaching the bug zapper-esque object. After stepping closer, the three horizontal sections break into hundreds of fluorescent light tubes creating a grid of blackness and intense brightness.

Since the room is only occupied by the structure and only lit by the front facing wall, once the light threshold is crossed the back half of the gallery becomes plainly dim. Printed on the floor are the directions “When the light is green, you may enter the structure” as well as the running time of the 8-and-a-half-minute video. In the leftover glow of the fluorescent light sits a simple white bench where you are able to wait for the space age LED lights to signal you inside.

While waiting on the bench, facing a giant metal cube you are about to enter, you really can’t help but feel like you are on the last round of Russian nesting dolls. In a building, in a room, in a room, in a box, the unlit side of the installation eerily mirrors the entry of the museum itself- this time without the cardio of the grand staircase. The same cold, square, metallic tiles give a sense of re-entry to the space, a weighty ritual act of recommitting to the exhibition you were in, yet waiting for patiently on a bench.

With all of the rising action built into the experience, I don’t think anything would have shocked me inside. Would a false floor drop me into the film? Would I be escorted through a series of miniature rooms each containing fragments of a story? Would every wall be a screen pelting me with audiovisual marginalia? But alas, entry demystified the installation revealing the interior as the familiar museum film set-up any other room could have provided.

I’ve always thought of the museum film as the ultimate litmus test separating gawking tourist from cultured aficionado. In the ubiquitous black benched room, larger questions of humility and pride are provided the ultimate battle ground. If I sit down at an insignificant time do I stay after everyone leaves? Are any of these strangers as aware as me that this is a big game of chicken after not checking the run-time? Will those people at the entrance of the room ever sit down?

Despite its familiar aesthetic, The Sound of Silence alleviates the anxieties surrounding the museum film through its dramatic build-up and demand for patience. Once the film begins, the audience is taken on a phrase-by-phrase poetic account of Kevin Carter’s life as a South African photojournalist. The phrases are communicated through slides of white typewriter font printed on the black screen. The font read as unfairly dated compared to the futuristic, graphic exterior of the installation, resembling something from a true crime story on television or end a melodramatic after school special. Although the font required some growing pains, the story of Kevin Carter’s tragic life and Pulitzer Prize winning photo unfurls beautifully.

It is this simplistic beauty of the storytelling that draws you into the screen and divorces the four industrial sized flash heads paired on either side from the equation, fading into the blackness. While their presence is rather obvious when you first enter the tiny room, the implied ellipsis after each careful phrase of the narrative and the exclusion of music make it impossible to know when the flash will go off- no grand crescendo to follow or clear climax to a story dripping with reality and teetering with emotions.

And then it goes off.

Right after Carter ends his life due to questions surrounding his morality in combination with the famine stricken and war torn images that haunt him, the giant flash heads activate and provoke a giant gasp and collective shudder.

This is where the genius of the piece takes flight. Bewildered and disoriented by the flash, here is the short moment where Carter’s award-winning, life-changing, story crux photograph becomes available. As your eyes refocus, you have the opportunity to enter the photograph meaningfully in the same way you had to choose to enter the microcosmic space of the installation. In the shock of the flash, you have access to the moment as if it were happening in real time. No lingering, no loitering, only the ephemeral glance.

As I re-entered the rest of the WITNESS exhibition, the once floating installation felt heavy behind me. In my exit, a part of me wanted that flash to connect to something. The feeling after a roller coaster ride where you search for your screaming photo at the gift shop. The flash as a tool to take, rudely snatching a moment and commodifying it, taking a moment without intervening, taking a moment and making it yours rather than the subject’s, the flash as a distraction from the human behind the camera.

Jaar’s piece added an essential depth to WITNESS, a newfound tone of reflection before facing the photographs again on the way out to the lobby. His imaginative interpretation of photography in a museum context was resonating, adding tight punctuation to the loose theme of the exhibition.

The installation proved as an utterly transformative space. A catalyst revealing the nuance of what is significant and insignificant about photography and a more refined approach to exploring the power of the photographical moment. Each photograph catalogued as a serial number in a tireless collection could carry the same richness or tragedy- but how could I know? Am I supposed to know? …Do I want to know?

Oh, and as for the photograph- I think you should see it yourself.

465 Comments

• Kinsey commented on October 7, 2016 Reply

Boy oh boy do I adore the way you described this exhibition. Your prose is effortless and effective and blends delightfully with your educating of the audience. I especially love how you left your conclusions up in the air. It implies that your experience of the exhibition isn’t yet finished, which is refreshing to hear from a critique. It’s nice that critics may not have all the answers, since other audience members may not either.

• Jiya sharma commented on October 17, 2023 Reply

hey

• Bussiness Sale commented on March 7, 2024 Reply

Your eloquent and insightful description of the exhibition is a delight to read! Your effortless prose blends seamlessly with your educational approach, making the experience engaging and informative for the audience.

I particularly appreciate your open-ended conclusion. It refreshingly acknowledges that your understanding of the exhibition is an ongoing process, which resonates with the audience who may not have all the answers either. This honest perspective fosters a sense of shared discovery and critical reflection.

Overall, your engaging and thought-provoking review offers a valuable perspective on the exhibition without dictating definitive interpretations. It encourages further exploration and individual engagement with the art, which is a valuable contribution to the discourse

khalidelarbi
      ————————————
      Online Marketing Analysis

business for sale

• elisugerman commented on October 7, 2016 Reply

First of all, it is a truly incredible coincidence that for this assignment you wrote a critique of Alfredo Jaar’s artwork and I wrote a critique of an album by Nicolas Jaar, his son!!! What are the chances…
    Anyway, this was a very well written exploration into not just the art itself, but also your experience of it. I especially connected to the part about museum films and the game of “chicken” that often occurs in them. I never thought about it that way before, but it is an apt observation. It’s too easy to forget how specific mediums can be especially inviting (like installations) or foreboding (like films of unknown length) to visitors. If anything, your article made me want to visit this exhibit, and I think I will.

• Julia Poppy commented on October 9, 2016 Reply

Wow! You’ve done a really exceptional job at capturing the vibe of the exhibit and this piece in particular. I also really like how you ground the piece within the amorphous exhibit and demonstrate how it actually, as you say, punctuates the collection. After reading this piece, I felt like I had gained a new insight and also wanted to go back to see the piece again—you’ve managed to reveal the perfect amount about the work. I am left wondering about the title of Jaar’s artwork, The Sound of Silence. It could be interesting to consider the “soundscape” of the piece vs. the exhibition as well.

• Carolyn Twersky commented on October 12, 2016 Reply

After experiencing this work I was left thinking about it for days, and your description brought me right back into that mind state. Your prose brings back the flash and the heaviness I felt afterwards quite intensely.

I only wish for a little more on your feelings about the work aside from the description. How did it make you feel, think about the photograph, Kevin’s life, South Africa in that context. I found the story as a whole so interesting, how it began as describing the apartheid and then morphed into Kevin’s life. I would love for you to discuss the specifics a little more in this way.

Hey carolyn
      I am really happy to read your comment.

• Michael Kramer commented on October 14, 2016 Reply

Jane,
    As the comments suggest, you have written a captivating experiential review of Jaar’s installation. You focus as much on the work as a meditation on the museum as on the content of the photographs and this is useful since the “bug zapper-esque” (!) work does have a quality of being a gallery within the galleries. I’m struck by the use of light in Jaar’s work, particularly how you describe the flash as a crucial moment in experiencing it. How does “light” matter to this work? What does light do for us as a medium? And then light as linked to sight, to seeing, and then seeing related to being able to speak or not, to have a voice, or not (or be silent, or silenced)? You begin to broach these crucial ethical questions in Jaar’s work and I would only encourage you to continue to tease out the moral complexities of the work and how it asks viewers to experience and delve into them. Prof. Kramer

• Betmate commented on April 28, 2022 Reply

여기가바로 먹튀검증 배팅의성지

• pgslott commented on May 22, 2022 Reply

บทความ evoplay หรือที่หลายๆคนรู้จักในชื่อ evoplay slots เป็นเกมส์ สล็อตโทรศัพท์มือถือ MEGASLOTGAME ที่เปลี่ยนแปลงจากค่าย อีโม้ Entertainment ที่พัฒนาเกมส์ให้มีมิติเกมส์ที่แปลกใหม่

• pg commented on May 22, 2022 Reply

PG-SLOT.GAME No. 1, the easiest way to play pg slot slots, PG games break often, promotions, free credits, PG SLOT GAME, free bonuses every day. available 24 hours

• PG SLOT commented on May 22, 2022 Reply

• aotu game commented on May 24, 2022 Reply

เล่น Pg Slot สมจริง กับ ดาฟาเบท ยินดีต้อนรับสู่ Dafabet เว็บพนันออนไลน์ชั้นแนวหน้าของโลก และก็ได้เก็บสินค้าเกมที่ยอดเยี่ยม ดังเช่น พนันกีฬา pg slot คาสิโน ดีลเลอร์สด รวมทั้งเกมออนไลน์

• igoal แทงหวย commented on September 2, 2022 Reply

Thank you for your post. This is superb information. It is amazing and great to visit your site.
    igoal แทงหวย

• Rudolph Bartley commented on September 9, 2022 Reply

I also really like how you ground the piece within the amorphous exhibit and demonstrate how it actually, as you say, punctuates the collection. After reading this piece, the guide of Wikipedia Page creator is the best, I felt so like I had gained new insight and also wanted to go back to see the piece again you’ve managed to reveal the perfect amount about the work.

• baccarat online commented on September 20, 2022 Reply

Your explanation is organized very easy to understand!!! I understood at once. Could you please post about baccarat online ?? Please!!

• โปรโมชั่น commented on October 2, 2022 Reply

โปรโมชั่น pg slot รวมโปรสล็อต PG โปรโมชั่นดีๆสุดพิเศษและก็ร้อนแรงมาเสนอแนะสำหรับคุณ สำหรับสาวกสล็อตตัวจริงต้องห้ามพลาดกับโปรโมชั่นที่พวกเราเตรียมความพร้อมมายกให้คุณทุกวัน

• Legal Consultants commented on October 18, 2022 Reply

Mai Alfalasi advocates and legal consultants in Dubai is a full-service law firm providing high-quality and full-spectrum legal services in Dubai, UAE, to its local and international clients. We lead the chart of the legal consultancy firms in Dubai that provides unparalleled legal representation across various practice areas.

• safetotosite commented on November 2, 2022 Reply

Estoy agradecido por el artículo. Tengo muchas ganas de leer más. Fantástico.

https://www.safetotosite.pro/

Muy buena publicación de artículo. Realmente espero leer más. Excelente.

https://www.safetotosite.pro/

• camdenmante commented on November 25, 2022 Reply

Nice post. Come to play bob the robber if you have free time.

• enricocollier commented on November 25, 2022 Reply

bob the robber is the most comprehensive source of helpful information for everyone who wants to relax. Thank you guys for all your efforts. Highly recommended.

• jaeseu commented on December 10, 2022 Reply

I found this blog. For what you have suggested to us,
    I have found some new data in your post, all things considered.
    The cerebrum is incredibly satisfying and I am all thanks to the astonishing degree of your article.

제이나인 스포츠 토토 배당률
    제이나인 스포츠 토토 승부 식
    제이나인 승부 식 토토
    제이나인 토토 도메인
    제이나인 토토 먹튀
    https://www.j9korea.com

• Jennifer J. Priester commented on December 30, 2022 Reply

Looking forward, we anticipate that the luxury sector will outperform the rest of the industry, as wealthy shoppers continue to travel and spend, and thus remain more insulated from the effects of hyperinflation. BKLinkGlobal Training

• David Brown commented on December 30, 2022 Reply

A commitment of appreciation is all together for sharing, I found a tremendous store of stimulating information here. A striking post, incredibly grateful and obliging that you will make on a very major level more posts like this one. BK Link Global Login

• 온라인카지노 commented on January 6, 2023 Reply

This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post.

온라인카지노

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!

온라인카지노

• 카지노 commented on January 6, 2023 Reply

Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that “The content of your post is awesome” Great work.

카지노

• 바카라 commented on January 6, 2023 Reply

I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research .. It’s a good post .. keep posting and updating information.

바카라

• casinositehotcom commented on January 6, 2023 Reply

Keep sharing With a great info like this. 카지노사이트 ~

Great info!Your blog post deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting.

카지노추천 ~

Great info!Your blog post deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. 카지노사이트핫 ~

• Tammy Bailey commented on January 6, 2023 Reply

Thanks for sharing, I found a lot of interesting information here. A really good post, very thankful and helpful that you will write many more posts like this one.
    SkyWard Alpine Login

• yip vogue commented on January 10, 2023 Reply

I appreciate the information and advice you have shared.

eTenet

• bacarasite commented on January 14, 2023 Reply

Đây có thể là một trong những blog hữu ích nhất mà chúng tôi đã từng đi qua về chủ đề này

https://www.bacarasite.com/

Wonderful work! This is the kind of information that are meant to be shared around the net.
    Disgrace on the 바카라사이트닷컴 search engines for not positioning this put up higher!

Come on over and discuss with my site . Thanks =)

Sports Toto_Type and How to Play

• casinosite commented on January 27, 2023 Reply

Why couldn’t I have the same or similar opinions as you? T^T I hope you also visit my blog and give us a good opinion. casinosite

• หนังใหม่พากย์ไทย commented on February 2, 2023 Reply

It’s interesting. Thanks for sharing. Thanks. หนังใหม่พากย์ไทย

• Gd Soomro commented on February 8, 2023 Reply

Great article with excellent idea!Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.. keyword resarch

• baccarat online commented on February 22, 2023 Reply

I came to this site with the introduction of a friend around me and I was very impressed when I found your writing. I’ll come back often after bookmarking! baccarat online

• Kudabet commented on February 22, 2023 Reply

Kudabet is The Most Trusted Agen Bola Piala Dunia Terpercaya which is a type of provider that is easy to play.
    It can be said that the Trusted Slot Agent in Indonesia is one of the best gacor slot sites.

• Jayaspin commented on February 22, 2023 Reply

Pragmatic play is one of the most well-known Slot Gacor Hari ini and is the best slot game both in Indonesia and internationally.
    Pragmatic Play is the best recommendation for you and won the most complete best of online slots award of all time.

• Gigaspin88 commented on February 22, 2023 Reply

Gigaspin88 the first agent for Game Slot Gacor in Indonesia, to make it easier for members to make transactions now.
    It can be said that the Gigaspin88 slot agent is the best and most trusted provider so far.

• Gaspoll88 commented on February 22, 2023 Reply

Gaspoll88 is Slot Online Indonesia the best undeductible credit deposit that provides
    trusted online slot games with the highest RTP in Indonesia.

• Dewataspin commented on February 22, 2023 Reply

Dewataspin is the first online slot agent to use the best undeductible credit deposit slot system that provides trusted online slot games with
    Rtp Slot Gacor in Indonesia. Only by using 1 ID, you can hardly play various games.

• Madu88 commented on February 22, 2023 Reply

The most famous Madu88 which can be the main choice for you is the Joker123 game which has been present in Indonesia for a long time around 2000 and has lasted forever.
    This game is famous for its very striking yellow logo.

• Bigo88 commented on February 22, 2023 Reply

Bigo88 Gaming is one of the many online slot game provider sites with bets applying authentic Indonesian money.
    On this page you will not only be able to enjoy slot games online

• bacarasite commented on February 22, 2023 Reply

Prilično! Ovo je bio nevjerojatno prekrasan članak. Hvala vam puno na pružanju ovih podataka

https://www.bacarasite.com/

• kevenberry commented on March 2, 2023 Reply

I like this post. It look kind word about this blog is very optimistic I visit this blog first time and inspire by this well done work. Mind blowing post keeps up posting such huge data. What’s more, it is more helpful to everyone. Thanks for sharing here.
    Ref : Florida Swamp Yeti Products Coupon Code

• Jordan Johnson commented on March 6, 2023 Reply

creative jewelry packaging Very good article, the sharing is quite interesting and useful to me. I have learned a lot from your post. hope that you will have more new articles in the near future!

• casinositehotcom commented on March 12, 2023 Reply

I ⅼike the valuable іnformation you supply fⲟr ʏour articles. 카지노사이트핫

I really love the quality writing as offered on this post, Excellent post 카지노

Great article, very informative and well written thank you for posting it it really helps increase my knowledge카지노사이트핫