A New Look at Old Ideas

“What do ballistic gel blocks, a television commercial, business logos, a large-scale video production of gunfire, and a discarded Honda Dream motorcycle have in common?” When I walked into the MCA’s exhibition featuring The Propeller Group, this question first greeted me. Though I caught a glimpse of the three towering white flags in the entrance—I could hardly miss them—I hurried to the gallery’s introduction as a reference for the rest of my experience. Though long-winded, this question did peak my interest, so you can imagine my immediate disappointment when the very next sentence: “Each appears in this exhibition” accompanied by an explanation of the artist group themselves. The Propeller Group (Matt Lucero, Tuan Andrew Nguyen, and Phunam) is a “Vietnam-based artist team.” This exhibition is said to present an alternative perspective challenging the Western point of view that often dominates popular culture, while also exploring the similarities of political campaigns and entertainment. All this in just seven projects. (Six for me because I was unable to see the feature-length film AK-47 vs. M16 The Film screened in conjunction with the exhibition). With a lot to consider, I began my perusal of the exhibition.

Because I could no longer ignore them, I turned my attention to the towering white flags above me bearing a geometric flower design. A 60-second utopic commercial for the new communism explained that the flags bear the symbol of this movement. Moving past into the section displaying bullet remnants of AK-47 and M16, I started to experience this alternative perspective that the gallery introduction had promised me. As an American, the most I’ve heard about the Vietnam War is the student protests to it. I knew about the guerilla warfare, but in my education the ending of the war itself remains vague and unimportant. In a period where the U.S. was still feverishly fighting communism, retreating from the Vietnam War and leaving the communist influence of Northern Vietnam essentially victorious is an uncomfortable subject. Therefore my western interpretation of events was subverted by the peculiarity of that favorable take on communism, supported by the bullet fragments preserved mid-fire in ballistic gel that reflect the bitter years of fighting.

img_4819img_4821

The Dream, The Propeller Group

After these bold, impressionistic pieces, I stumbled upon a quieter work of art tucked in the last room of the gallery. The skeletal frame of a Honda Dream model motorbike sturdily welded to a metal pallet sits beside a time-laps video. I move around the rest of the gallery, viewing snippets of video, a house frame, a carved piece of wood, a buffalo skull; but I kept inching back to this motorbike frame. Somehow it stands out from the other pieces. The declarations of communism and the petrified bullets were bold, loud pieces. The carved wood twisted its way to a threatening snake’s head with impressive fangs. Even the skull, despite death’s stillness, remained fierce. But the solitary frame of the motorbike felt sad, stripped of its pride and usefulness. The video displayed beside it sheds light on how the bike reached this lowly state; nestled in a small street side courtyard sits a shining white Honda Dream motorbike. The information panel tells me this is in fact the same bike, though the one on screen shares no resemblance to the hallow frame beside it. For a while the only movement is the frantic quivering of leaves on a few nearby trees and the occasional exaggerated bustle of pedestrian traffic. Eventually the first of thieves come, but they start small. As quick as they come they are gone and the bike remains mostly in tact. For the next few minutes however my steady fixation on the bike is interrupted by bursts of thieves taking more and more until I recognize the piece beside me on screen. The information panel of the piece describes how The Propeller Group uses the hidden camera to tap “into our voyeuristic fantasies—our desire to see without being seen, and to know what others do when they think no one else is watching.” I’m almost ashamed to admit that I did feel this satisfaction, like I was catching the thieves by witnessing their crime. But I wasn’t, as evidenced by the dead bike carcass beside me. Just like guerilla warfare, these thieves sporadically attacked the bike in unpredictable bursts of movements. This was a successful tactic, for I as the viewer remained on my toes and unprepared for their attacks until I was already witnessing them.

In some ways I saw the thieves more as collaborators than criminals. The artists presented the bike, but the thieves carved out the piece of art themselves, and I as their unknown observer completed the work’s presentation by viewing the video and the bike frame as a whole. This individual information panel asked an interesting question as well: “what does it mean to set out a desirable object as bait?” Upon pondering the theme of undermining Western perspectives, I settled on the idea that this is a subverted form of commerce. The bike was set out purposefully as bait, so it was mean to be stolen. Normally, objects are meant to be purchased, but not this. Therefore I’m inclined to go easy on the thieves, seeing as they were doing what was expected. In an environment where desirables are expected to be stolen, thieves fulfill rather than subvert expectation. The name of the piece, The Dream, presents a final satisfactory irony. Even the bike model’s name is enticing, but because of this, humanity’s selfish nature gets the better of them. Sometimes a self-serving attitude is necessary for survival, but that can quickly escalate to greed, infringing on the ideal operation of society. This is why communism, and other economic and government systems, fails their theorized purpose. From he hopeful commercial for new communism (basking in the glory of the towering flags) I made my way to a darker corner of the gallery where the remnants of a lonely motorbike quietly reminded me the reason for why societal systems rarely work as planed: the human element.

img_4823

“The Propeller Group.” Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago. 220 E Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60611. 4 October 2016.

Wall text, The Propeller Group, Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, Chicago, IL. June 4th– November 13th, 2016.

9,184 Comments

• Kinsey commented on October 7, 2016 Reply

I really enjoyed experiencing this piece with you as you went through your critique. Your frequent tie-ins with the political context of the exhibition really add to the piece that, as you mentioned, seems unrelated. You draw connections to themes and motifs very naturally in your writing, which made me feel as aware of the context as you were without feeling preached at. Just as you were drawn to the motorbike, I too awaited to hear more about the dilapidated bike. I also really enjoyed your exploration of the thieving as a form of commerce, and how our preconceived notions of capitalism and property aren’t inherently universal.

• artisticfitzroy commented on February 15, 2023 Reply

Choose your lodgings depending on the area of the island you want to spend the most time in as you’re here to unwind. The phrazle southern side is dominated by the Sea Pines Resort, which has enough of beaches, shops, restaurants, and activities to keep you entertained without ever having to leave.

• biswa commented on February 6, 2024 Reply

Watch your favorite PinoyFlix Tambayan, Pinoy Tambayan, Pinoy Lambingan, Pinoy Teleserye and Pinoy TV Channel Epiosde online for free On Pinoy TV.

• yicahon commented on April 23, 2024 Reply

Live Draw Macau – Live Result Macau – Live Toto Macau Tercepat situs khusus untuk melakukan pemutaran result nomor Toto Macau 4D tercepat yang paling dibutuhkan togellers, semua data hasil Pengeluaran Toto Macau yang tampil pada halaman ini tidak perlu diragukan lagi keakuratannya sebab kami kutip langsung dari sumber resminya, yaitu Live Draw HK

• Bussiness Sale commented on March 7, 2024 Reply

Insightful connections: Your frequent references to the political context effectively add depth and meaning to the exhibition, even though the artwork might seem seemingly unrelated on the surface. Your ability to draw connections to themes and motifs naturally allows the reader to understand the context without feeling lectured. This creates a more collaborative and engaging reading experience.
      Shared curiosity: Sharing your curiosity about the dilapidated motorbike resonates with the reader and creates a sense of shared discovery. This fosters a sense of connection and engagement with the analysis.
      Thought-provoking exploration: Your exploration of thievery as a form of commerce and the challenge to preconceived notions of capitalism and property is thought-provoking and insightful. This encourages critical thinking and expands the reader’s perspective beyond established norms.
      Overall, your critique demonstrates a strong ability to analyze and interpret art within its broader context, while maintaining an engaging and thought-provoking writing style. Thank you for sharing this insightful and enjoyable perspective!

khalidelarbi
      ————————————
      Online Marketing Analysis

business for sale

• tabex88 commented on April 21, 2024 Reply

Live Draw Sdy – Live Result Sdy – Live Sdy Tercepat Adalah situs yang memberikan hasil putara togel kusus nya togel Sydney secara resmi yang terhubung langsung dari pusat nya langsung yaitu Live Draw SDY

• saheemze commented on April 21, 2024 Reply

Live Draw Sgp – Live Result Sgp – Live SGP Tercepat Merupakan situs resmi Singapore Pools memberikan pemutaran result togel Singapore secara langsung Dari Live Draw SGP

• reyof79319 commented on April 26, 2024 Reply

Live Draw Cambodia – Live Result Cambodia – Live Prize Cambodia situs pemutaran nomor togel Kamboja paling cepat dan paling dipercaya yang tersambung langsung dengan web sah Live Draw Cambodia

• Michael Kramer commented on October 14, 2016 Reply

Anna — This is a wonderful 1st person approach to a show that at first, to my experience, is kind of mystifying but, if you spend time with it, grows on you (This was my experience of The Propeller Group show at least). I think you might hone in even more on the “communism” aspect of the work in a country that, after all, is still technically ruled by a communist state even if it has largely turned to capitalism in recent decades: the ad for communism is, of course, meant to be funny, yes? Since the whole point of communism is that it was supposed to puncture the need for fancy advertising and marketing to create false needs and at last achieve socialist utopias in which property could be held in common and even, ideally, the state would eventually shrivel away. Yet here, the gag is that there’s a fancy ad campaign for this supposed state beyond capitalism’s need for advertising to spark human desires for a product! So too, the Honda Dream piece is, as you so sharply point out, an inquiry into not only surveillance and voyeurism, but also property: when something is put out in public space, to whom does it belong, how should it be treated, should it be respected as belonging to someone as property or is it now being given over to “the commons”; and if it is being given over to the commons, what should then be done with an object: can we pillage it or are we supposed to care for it in the name of the common good?; when a valuable object is not being guarded and is available, held in common (communism after all), what are the ethical parameters for its use? There is something awful and beautiful about these video works, as (at least for me) there is in the stripped down sculptural creation that the Honda Dream becomes by videos end. Also, the interplay between the video and the object in the gallery, which you notice quite perceptively in your review. Fun to read this! Prof. Kramer

• Amora Potter commented on August 18, 2023 Reply

The tension between communal use and individual ownership is explored, mapquest directions and the ethical considerations that come with it.

• albert commented on April 19, 2022 Reply

A receptive outlook is a significant asset. At the point when you’re keen on additional opportunities and ready to think innovatively, you’re bound to remain empowered in your job – and keep your group or business one stride in front of the opposition. If you want good writing service visit my : https://sites.google.com/site/bestessaywritingservicereview/

• Betmate commented on April 28, 2022 Reply

여기가바로 먹튀검증 배팅의성지

• 카지노검증 commented on May 19, 2022 Reply
  • Melina w walker commented on May 21, 2022 Reply

It is important to remember that anyone can be creative and improve your ability to create innovative ideas. The key techniques for this are: Get out of the old way of thinking. You can do this by challenging your assumptions, reinventing the problem, mixing your media, and thinking the opposite. If you want the best essay reviews visit https://sites.google.com/site/bestessaywritingservicereview/

• Betmate commented on May 27, 2022 Reply

배팅의성지먹튀검증 안전한메이저

• งา commented on May 27, 2022 Reply

axie infinity ราคาลง มาเล่น MegaSlotGame ดีกว่า ดีกว่า megagame เป็นเว็บไซต์ที่พึ่งถูกเปิดตัวได้ไม่นานมานี้ แต่ด้วยความพิเศษมากมาย จึงทำให้เป็นที่น่าจับตามอง แล้วมีผู้เล่นให้ความสนใจอย่างมาก

• PG SLOT commented on May 30, 2022 Reply

เบื่อ อ่านนิยาย มาเล่นเกม pgslot กัน พออ่านๆไปนานๆก็อาจจะเกิดอาการเบื่อ คงต้องหาอะไรทำแก้เบื่อ เราขอแนะนำเล่นเกมแก้เบื่อกัน นี่เลย เกมสล็อต จากค่าย PG SLOT กับทางเว็บของเรา

• pg slot commented on May 31, 2022 Reply

pg slot เล่นได้ ไม่ต้องผ่าน play storeทางเว็บpg slot ของเรานั้น การเข้าเล่นไม่ยุ่งยากเลย เพียงแค่คุณเข้าผ่าน ไม่ต้องดาวน์โหลดเลย ท่านก็สามารถที่จะเล่นสล็อตได้อย่างเพลิดเพลิน

• pg slot game commented on May 31, 2022 Reply

pg slot แจกบ่อยกว่า xoslotz xoslotz เล่น สล็อต xo บนหน้าเว็บ ก็สามารถทำเป็นเช่นเดียวกัน ผ่านลิ้งค์ข้างล่าง pg slot หรือลิ้งค์นี้ สล็อตPg เว็บไซต์ตรง ไม่ผ่านเอเยนต์ เล่นสล็อต บันเทิงใจ ผ่านระบบ

• Anna commented on June 29, 2022 Reply

I just couldn’t leave your website before saying that I really enjoyed the quality information you offer. Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

• Melina w walker commented on July 12, 2022 Reply

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am an essay writer and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.

• Melina w walker commented on July 17, 2022 Reply

This is truly practical and pleasant information for all. Thanks for sharing this with us. For more visit best essay reviews

• totosite commented on August 10, 2022 Reply

It’s really great. Thank you for providing a quality article. There is something you might be interested in. Do you know totosite ? If you have more questions, please come to my site and check it out!

• Sam William commented on August 11, 2022 Reply

I just couldn’t leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Also don’t forget to visit CNC camera accessories Will be back again frequently.

• ukprimenews commented on August 18, 2022 Reply
  • 에볼루션 알가격 commented on August 30, 2022 Reply

you all technicalss AUGUST1983Y solutions and staff we need for 에볼루션알가격

• baccaratsite commented on September 20, 2022 Reply

When I read an article on this topic, baccaratsite the first thought was profound and difficult, and I wondered if others could understand.. My site has a discussion board for articles and photos similar to this topic. Could you please visit me when you have time to discuss this topic?

• casinocommunity commented on October 18, 2022 Reply

I am very impressed with your writing casinocommunity I couldn’t think of this, but it’s amazing! I wrote several posts similar to this one, but please come and see!

• Ethelbert commented on October 19, 2022 Reply

Welcome all to free games unblocked and play unblocked games

• igoal huay commented on October 28, 2022 Reply

Excellent, your website is very helpful. I read and really like your website.
    igoal huay

• Lisa commented on November 25, 2022 Reply

There are times when verbal communication is adequate, fnf mods, and there are other times when the capacity to write down thoughts is required. It’s crucial to be able to communicate clearly in both directions.

• totosite commented on December 8, 2022 Reply

I’ve been looking for photos and articles on this topic over the past few days due to a school assignment, totosite and I’m really happy to find a post with the material I was looking for! I bookmark and will come often! Thanks 😀

• jaeseu commented on December 10, 2022 Reply

I found this blog. For what you have suggested to us,
    I have found some new data in your post, all things considered.
    The cerebrum is incredibly satisfying and I am all thanks to the astonishing degree of your article.

제이나인 스포츠 토토 배당률
    제이나인 스포츠 토토 승부 식
    제이나인 승부 식 토토
    제이나인 토토 도메인
    제이나인 토토 먹튀
    https://www.j9korea.com

• Garcia commented on December 26, 2022 Reply

What a fabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. MyIndigo Card

• Dolores Hamilton commented on December 27, 2022 Reply

What a fabulous post this has been. I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Global Connect GM Very good work.

• sumni commented on December 27, 2022 Reply

That was a very good Information Thanks for that.

Tim Hortons Survey

• JenniferLopez commented on December 29, 2022 Reply

this ad is really funny, i choose iscribble over other things.

• Mabel Belcher commented on January 2, 2023 Reply

What a fabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. CUIMS App Download
    I must say you have written a great article.

• Knight commented on January 3, 2023 Reply

That’s great. I was impressed by your writing. I am happy to see such a topic. Please come to my blog and read it.

https://www.mykplan.me/

• 카지노사이트 commented on January 6, 2023 Reply

Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for.

카지노사이트

• 바카라사이트 commented on January 6, 2023 Reply

Hi there, I check your blog like every week. Your story-telling style is awesome, keep it up!

바카라사이트

Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too.

바카라사이트

I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for. I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info. 바카라사이트

• sportstoto commented on January 6, 2023 Reply

Vi ho trovato il vostro blog utilizzando Google mentre cercavo un argomento paragonabile, il vostro sito web è giunto
    e di conseguenza, sembra essere buona. Ho inserito i bookmarks nei miei bookmarks Google.

Vi sono state alcune osservazioni, che sono state rese note dal vostro blog tramite Google e che sono state rivelate veramente informative.

https://www.sportstoto.link/

Please keep on posting such quality articles as this is a rare thing to find these days. I am always searching online 먹튀검증 for posts that can help me. watching forward to another great blog, Good Luck to the author! all the best!

• casinositehotcom commented on January 6, 2023 Reply

Keep sharing With a great info like this.

카지노사이트 ~

Keep sharing With a great info like this. 카지노사이트 ~

• baccarat online commented on January 7, 2023 Reply

It’s really great. Thank you for providing a quality article. There is something you might be interested in. Do you know baccarat online ? If you have more questions, please come to my site and check it out!

• safetotosite commented on January 7, 2023 Reply

A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing this helpful information.. 먹튀검증

• casinositenet commented on January 7, 2023 Reply

I truly thank you for the profitable information on this awesome subject and anticipate more incredible posts. 카지노사이트넷

• casinositekim commented on January 7, 2023 Reply

Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. 카지노사이트킴

• Knight commented on January 9, 2023 Reply

Thanks for the information keep sharing such informative post keep suggesting such post.

Bookiemarket

• Fox commented on January 10, 2023 Reply

Thanks for the update and quick reply. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

MyBKExperience Survey Code

• casinositekim commented on January 14, 2023 Reply

That is a great tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere. Simple but very accurate info? Thank you for sharing this one. https://www.casinositekim.com/

• Knight commented on January 19, 2023 Reply

This works really well for us, thank you!

https://www.benefitwallet.me/

I also have this same question and I cannot find any proper answers on the internet and also need a solution.

https://www.benefitwallet.me/

• casinositekim commented on January 21, 2023 Reply

Good write-up, I’m regular visitor of one’s blog, maintain up the excellent operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time. https://www.casinositekim.com/

• mathematics commented on January 25, 2023 Reply

I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article… mathematics