About Me

I am an assistant professor of instruction in the Department of German, where I teach language courses as well as courses on literature, German society and culture, and gender and sexuality. Alongside teaching beginner and intermediate German, I have originated courses on topics such as the history of sexuality in Germany, history of German film, contemporary German politics, and club culture and dance music in contemporary Europe. As an instructor, I have been recognized with two awards for outstanding teaching by the University of Michigan. Click here to learn more about my teaching.

My scholarship focuses on nineteenth- and twentieth-century German-language literature, culture, and history, with multidisciplinary specializations in gender and queer studies, modernism, and literary and critical theory. Click here to learn more about my research and latest book project.

I combine a demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion with excellence in teaching and mentoring students and scholarly productivity to excel as a teacher-scholar.

My academic CV can be found here

As a doctoral student at the University of Michigan, I spent several years as a Graduate Student Instructor Consultant (GSIC), an instructional design and educational development role, at the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching. I also worked as an Instructional Technology GSIC, co-founded and served on CRLT’s Advisory Group for Remote Teaching, and helped create the GSIC Workshop Development Program. As a graduate student, I taught several semesters of language courses and content-based seminars on topics such as politics, literature, art, music, and film—both online and in-person. I have designed and taught original, in-person and remote courses, including a first-year writing course as a Junior Fellow at Michigan’s Sweetland Center for Writing.

Originally from New Jersey, I received my BA magna cum laude in German Studies as well as History from Columbia University (2014) and my Ph.D. in German Studies at the University of Michigan (2021). Before coming to Northwestern, I taught at Vassar College as a visiting assistant professor in the Department of German Studies.