Guidelines for Keck and MMT Proposals for Northwestern Observers Semester 2019A
Deadline for proposal submission: October 5, 2018 at 8 PM CDT
Start of semester: February 1, 2019
End of semester: July 31, 2019
PIs of recommended proposals will be notified on or before October 31, 2018.
Total number of nights available on Keck: 4.5 (Keck 1: OD, 1G, 0.5B; Keck 2: 2D, OG, 1B)
Total number of nights available on MMT: 5
- CIERA Astronomy faculty, postdocs, and graduate students (current 3rd years and above) are eligible to apply for time.
- PIs must be affiliated with CIERA at the time when the observations for the proposal are carried out.
Considerations for Proposers
- It is the responsibility of the proposers to familiarize themselves with the facility capabilities and observing policies (see last bullet of this section, as well as the Observing Links at bottom of page).
- For classically-scheduled time that requires travel, the observations must be carried out by a CIERA PI or Co-I.
- For queue-scheduled time that does not require travel, the observations must be coordinated and submitted by a CIERA PI or Co-I.
- The proposers are responsible for all expenses related to observing runs. CIERA will not provide funds to support these expenses.
- First-time Keck observers for a particular instrument are required to observe from the headquarters facility in Waimea, Hawaii. Experienced observers for a particular instrument are allowed to observe from selected remote observing sites around the country, upon availability. More information on the Keck observing policy.
- Applicants can submit no more than 3 proposals as PI to a given facility (e.g., Keck or MMT).
- If an applicant submits more than one proposal as PI to a given facility, the PI is required to rank the proposals in order of importance (with “1” being the most important), as designated in the proposal submission form.
- Graduate student PIs must have their thesis advisor fill out and sign the designated Advisor Approval form. A valid Advisor Approval form must be submitted with each proposal by the submission deadline in order for the proposal to be considered.
- The minimum request for a given facility is 0.5 night.
Proposal Format and Templates
All proposals must include a scientific justification (2 pages) and figures (1 page). References must be included in the 3-page limit. Please use the latex templates provided below.
All relevant sub-sections listed in the latex templates, along with the thesis Advisor Approval form (applicable to graduate student PIs only) must be completed. Facility-specific proposal templates and class files are available here:
*Compiles with standard AASTEX
In addition, Keck proposers must create an observatory login and fill out a cover sheet. A PDF copy of the cover sheet must be attached to any submitted Keck proposal.
*Must compile with this class file
- Scientific justification (2 pages) + figures (1 page); references included
- All relevant sub-sections including target list, technical justification, as specified in latex templates
- Advisor Approval form, filled, signed, exported to PDF (Graduate student PIs only)
- Cover sheet
- MMT proposals: Included in latex template
- Keck proposals: Create log-in and fill out.
- Once on your Observatory Login homepage, under Proposal Cover Sheets, select “Submit a New Cover Sheet”
- Fill out the Cover Sheet and hit “Submit”.
- Return to Observatory Login homepage. Your cover sheet should now appear as an item below Proposal Cover Sheets.
- Click “Display this cover sheet”. Save as a PDF file.
- Append cover sheet at the beginning to the rest of the proposal
Every proposal must be submitted as a single PDF file to the proposal submission page. The deadline for consideration for 2019A is October 5 at 8 PM CDT.
Keck 2019A instrument availability: https://www2.keck.hawaii.edu/observing/instavail.html
MMT 2019A instrument availability: Available soon