Sharing Perspectives

One of my favorite things about Ewha Womans University is the fact that its a feminist institution in a traditionally old-fashioned society. It is a Christian all-girls school, but the study abroad program is co-ed. Still, I found myself extremely comfortable talking about my interests without being judged. Many of the students, both full-time and exchange, are very aware of injustice and constantly educate the male exchange students on topics when an issue occurred. Korea in general is also very safe, so if I ever felt the need to go out at night alone, I was always completely secure. This was a positive contrast for me, because I normally have to take extra precautions as a woman in America. It was nice to be somewhere where womans education is not only important, but a priority.

Through tutoring English in Ewha’s E-Lounge, I was able to speak to Korean students who wanted to improve and build confidence in their already impressive English skills. Many expressed interest in traveling to the US, but expressed fear and doubt in their ability to do so because of how competitive it is. E-Lounge was my best opportunity to communicate with full time Ewha students, so I looked forward to my weekly sessions with the students who came. So many of the girls expressed admiration at how progressive Western society is compared to Korea, but I made sure to tell them about how positive my experience was as a foreigner with very little Korean speaking ability. I think sharing our perspectives, and also hearing the praise they had for Ewha as an institution, was very enlightening for me and gave me the best view of Korean society from a non-academic view.