Day in the Life: Winneba, Ghana

I began my day waking up at 8:00 am to the smell of my host mom cooking breakfast which was usually two omelets between two slices of bread. I would leave to my internship site at about 8:40 pm. To get there, I walk about five minutes to the nearest major intersection to catch a Taxi towards Sanqor Junction. The cost was about 3 Ghana cedis (about 60 cents in USD). Many of my drivers were friendly. I especially remember a driver named Emmanuel. Here is a picture with me and him below.

We talked about our family and dreams on my short commute and was one of the many times I felt welcomed and accepted into the community. Once I got to the Challenging Heights School, I said hello to the children I would pass by as I approached my class. I primarily taught math and English to my middle-school aged students. There were many challenges some of which included a language barrier and my lack of teaching experience. Overall, it was a fulfilling experience that has solidified my plans to become a high school math teacher. After school on Mondays and Wednesdays, I would go to Fante lessons for an hour. On Thursdays, I attended drum and traditional dance lessons at Sir Charles Beach. At night, I would chill with my host family. We mostly watched the African Cup of Nations (a soccer competition between African countries) and Nigerian soap operas. Ghanaians are very passionate about their team and were devastated when they lost to Tunisia. My host dad was always cracking jokes. He was very wise and willing to share his life experiences with me. My host brothers, Henry and Prince, were shy at first, but opened up after a while. I normally took a shower at 9:00 pm, watched Brooklyn Nine-Nine on my laptop until I fell asleep around midnight.