Pre-Departure

Prior to leaving to China, I took a little trip with one of my best friends to LA. Looking back on it now, it was quite a bad decision because I got burnt before even setting foot on one of the hottest places to be in the summer. I came back home with less than a day to pack, and leaving for eight weeks, it was difficult to decide what I needed and what I didn’t.

I tend to overpack and this trip away from home wasn’t any different. When I got to the airport, I had two big luggages to check in, one weighed 47 while the other 48. I didn’t know what to expect in China, so I packed everything I could in case I couldn’t get what I needed from the store. I thought it was going to be really difficult to adjust to the lifestyle in China. I knew my level of Chinese was not enough to get me around as much as I did in America, so I wanted to be prepared.

Knowing that classes were scheduled from 9-4 from basically Monday-Friday, I thought classes and homework was going to take up most of my time, with little time to explore the city. I was very excited to go on the excursions we had on the weekends because of this.

I knew being in China was going to be a different and fun experience and I was ready for it!