A Weekday in Berlin

I’ve grown to so love the 30 minute commute to class in the mornings. Walking to Mehringdamm and seeing shop-owners ready themselves for the day, young people biking to work in heels and long skirts. Despite it being excruciatingly hot and crowded in the mornings, I love taking the U-Bahn to Friedrichstraße. The dogs and people are so fun to watch. Yesterday I saw a woman wearing a button down shirt backwards, with the buttons in the back. People read such interesting things on their e-readers and newspapers: romances, tragedies. Sometimes men will leave me letters before they leave the train, sometimes people will fight me for a seat. Taking the S-Bahn is even more fun because I get to watch the city also: the impressive buildings of Mitte, the river Spree. It hasn’t rained since I arrived seven weeks ago; everyday holds so much promise.

For the past two weeks I’ve been taking the S1 to Schlachtensee after my Humboldt classes, about a 30 minute trip. The lake is so clear and cool on a hot day. For some reason, young people like to play loud techno music even if they’re alone and in nature. So strange! People like to complain about it. I like watching the middle-aged people picnic and swim with their friends. Or I watch the kids jump off a high tree limb with a rope swing. Sometimes I read on the bank, other times I swim with people I meet in the water. Everyone seems so at ease. Really makes me fall in love with Berlin!