Willie, I’ve A Feeling We’re Not In Chicago Anymore

I have traveled to Mexico in the past, but never to Mexico City and never on my own. My mom and I planned to go together, but I could not miss the opportunity to go over the summer to study abroad to the top-notch university that is La Universidad Panamericana. I’ll admit that I am very nervous about going, and I am not 100% sure what to expect. I can only hope that I get along well with my host family to have the kind and warm experiences I hear so much about from other students abroad with their host families to help me not miss my own too much. I am so excited to get to visit significant historical landmarks and museums such as the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe and the pyramids of Teotihuacan with a group of students that will hopefully become close friends, and a professor to give us the kind of insight that might otherwise be lost if I ventured to these places alone. I am also looking forward to taking time to walk around the city to see all the stands with food such as tacos, tamales, gorditas, and sweet bread = food I can have at home, that has been comfort food, but that might taste differently and will definitely be presented differently – and stands with crafts and candies. As much as I already love my Mexican roots, I have a feeling that seeing some of the elements I am already familiar with in a different context will give a new worth to the culture I love.