Pre-Departure

I’m really excited to get to finally visit Spain. I have been studying both Spanish language and culture since the first grade. I went to a Dual-Immersion K-8 school in Southern California, and it was always interesting to learn about customs in Spain, as the majority of students in my classes were of Latin American descent, and had very strong opinions on the cultural differences between Spain and their antecedents’ countries of origin. As a Non-Hispanic student, many of my biases have been formed by Latin American teachers and students, and I am excited to discover a new perspective on what Spanish culture is. This will not be my first time living in a Spanish-Speaking country, but it will surely be the longest trip I have taken to one. Last summer I spent two weeks in La Cruz, Costa Rica working with a local high school there. This trip will differ significantly from my past experience in that I will be attending classes, residing in a dormitory,  and the stay will be much longer in Spain. My main concerns for this trip include my level of Spanish proficiency, my overall liking of Barcelona as a city, and my ability to budget my food, honestly. I have only taken one Spanish course at Northwestern, Spanish 203. Although AP credit may tell that I have college-ready proficiency, I still have doubts about my ability to manage the language where specific vocabulary is necessary especially in grocery stores, airports, and metro stations. As for how much I like Barcelona, I have received very mixed reviews about the city from past participants. And food, this will be my first time in this situation, so I have no idea what to expect. Overall, I am very excited, and so happy I got this opportunity!