Back at It

Finally, I have returned to Evanston to start a new year school year. A clean slate, with a fresh outlook and excitement; I truly love the start of each academic year. However, I can’t help but feel a twinge of sadness as the summer finally ends, and the days turn into weeks from the time I landed from my stay in Europe. I miss the spontaneity of my days in Berlin, the many adventures I had, the people I met (and will never forget), and I now look back on all the trials and tribulations I faced with a smile and a sense of pride in my ability to mature and survive in such a foreign setting. I truly grew this summer, and this statement is in no way being claimed in a flippant or clichéd manner. I experienced something that brings upon true adult maturity and rational thought in a person- solitude in travel. While I enjoyed traveling across Europe alone, I also had to be completely aware of my surroundings and depend on only one person- myself.

While it is truly a bittersweet feeling, I know that I will eventually return to the city I fell in love with, and with each subsequent trip back to Germany, I will hopefully even continue to improve my German language skills. I miss the feeling of being lost in a beautiful city and having almost no cares in the world- in fact, I savored those moments, and completely enjoyed wandering around Berlin for hours and discovering beautiful “nooks and crannies” all alone. This summer was one of the best I’ve ever had in my life, and I know I will definitely never forget it.
img_2712