11/07/95 Gallery

I have waited to write my last blog post until the end of the trip to allow myself some time to process the past few days. We have gone to various museums and listening to many testimonies, which have greatly impacted me and changed my outlook on many greater societal and global structures.

One of the most impactful moments of the entire study abroad program just happened a few days ago and this moment was visiting Gallery 11/07/95. The museum is the first memorial museum and gallery for Srebrenica in Bosnia-Herzegovina, which is an exhibition space aiming to preserve the memory on Srebrenica tragedy and 8372 persons who tragically lost their lives during the genocide. The moving exhibit showed various images ranging from the refugee camps to the individuals who lost their lives during the genocide. There were also various videos shown throughout the gallery concerning the Siege of Sarajevo and the genocide itself.  Some of the most memorable quotes from the movies were discussing the genocide itself when mothers and wives were discussing their sons and husbands saying “humanity was taken,” “we were robbed of our integrity” and finally “to understand our situation and the war, you must be here to understand the war against the citizens.” Tears filled my eyes as I saw the many images and heard the trying testimonies.

At least half of the people in Sarajevo and Bosnia-Herzegovina have been through trauma.  Despite all of these traumas and the war, people are optimistic and are some of the kindest people I have ever met. The optimism, perseverance and resilience of the people from this region is astounding and admirable. This trip has been eye opening in more ways than one for me and I will certainly never forget my time in Sarajevo and greatly look forward to when I will be able to come back.