Jiaozi 101

There are now less than two weeks of my time here in Beijing. All I can think to myself is where has the time gone? I feel this increasing pressure to do as many activities as possible: visit more markets, eat more authentic Chinese food, and learn how to make jiaozi (dumplings).

Last Friday after class, a couple of friends and I took a class on how to make handmade jiaozi. It was taught in this cozy little house, and the teacher was very nice! She first demonstrated how to make, mix, and knead the dough, and then we followed. Then we made the filling- two vegetarian options, and one meat option. At first, I thought “hey this isn’t so hard”. I was wrong. Then we had to roll out the dough into little circles, and then pinch the dough so that the dumplings looked little crescents. On some, I would accidentally rip the dough, on the others, I would add too much filling and the jiaozi wouldn’t close.

Proudly displaying our handmade jiaozi

Proudly displaying our handmade jiaozi

I think by the end of the jiaozi making process, I finally got the hang of it. Our teacher took our dumplings and fried half of the dumplings and steamed the others. Then at the end of it, we had a big feast. It was delicious, and I couldn’t believe that we made these! As soon as I took a bite, I started making plans to make this again for my family when I returned to Chicago. It was definitely one of the most worthwhile experiences in China.

Some of our finished product

Some of our finished product

Before I sign off, I just want to share another picture of one of my favorite desserts I had in China at a little place called Ruimilk. This shop is in a mall in Xidan, and I actually visited this place to meet up with my high school friend who was also visiting Beijing. Anyways, there is an ice cream called the thunderdome. It is consisted of grey cotton candy on top, made to look like a cloud, with a little lightning bolt in the cotton candy. Under the cotton candy, there are pop rocks and delicious soft serve.

The thunderdome!

The thunderdome!