Huangshan & Hangzhou: An Unexpected Journey

I still can’t believe I’m nearing the end of my sixth week here in China. These last few weeks have been hectic and not to mention incredibly adventurous. Two weeks ago, a group of friends and I went to Huangshan City and Hangzhou for our long weekend break. Initially, I was nervous about going on this trip because I was told it’d be physically exhausting from all the hiking we’d be doing. But I didn’t want to pass on the opportunity to see some of the most beautiful scenery in China. Besides, what’s the fun without a little adventure?

After missing our sleeper-train which left us stranded in Beijing’s subway station for several hours, many of us were left wondering whether this trip would be worth it. Once in Huangshan City, it was a race to complete everything (and I mean everything) on our itinerary. Our tour guide, John, immediately (and I mean immediately) took us hiking on Huangshan (Yellow Mountains). Believe me when I tell you that it was the most painful thing I’ve ever done. I must have been sore for days. But believe me when I also tell you that Huangshan was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. It was definitely worth the blood, sweat, and tears. I could go on and on about all the beautiful places we visited, but I won’t.

IMG_20160715_175902705

Huangshan!

If you were to ask me which part of the trip I liked the most, I wouldn’t be able to tell you because it can’t be pinpointed on any itinerary. My most memorable moments were unplanned and unexpected. They were the conversations we had with John about his life as a tour guide. They were the times where we laughed about mistakenly saying one thing in Chinese when we actually meant another. It was the time where we talked for five hours and told each other our stories and deepest fears. Those are the moments I will cherish. Maybe missing our train that night was all part of the plan after all.

mmexport1468899071209 (1)

Us with our tour guide, John!