El tiempo se pasa volando

Es increíble pensar que ya tenemos un mes en la bella ciudad de México. One whole month that has flown by. During this month I’ve learned a few more Spanish slang words, as well as eaten authentic and traditional meals, and even learned a few salsa moves. The most exciting part was climbing the pyramids of Teotihuacan. The sun pyramid is the tallest one in Teotihuacan, followed by the moon pyramid which is located in the the Avenue of the Dead (named after the mounds on its sides which look like tombs).  Being almost 7,900 ft. above sea level was in fact thrilling. The climb up was a different story. Let’s just say there was more than one break in between, and lots of huffing and puffing towards the end. It wasn’t easy, but as cliché as it sounds, it was totally worth it. The view from the top is simply breathtaking. A picture does speak a thousand words. 

teotihuacan

After our journey to Teotihuacan, we traveled to Puebla, a Spanish colonial city in Mexico. Puebla is known for its dishes, in particular its mole, chalupas, and chile en nogada. The mole Poblano is a type of sauce made with different chiles and with chocolate, both things that I love. Chalupas are a type of crunchy tortilla topped with shredded chicken potato and green salsa. Just thinking about them makes me hungry all over again. Chile en nogada was originally made by nuns after the Mexican Independence. It contains all the three colors present in the Mexican flag: green, white, and red. The chile is stuffed with meat amongst other things, topped whit a nutty white sauce and pomegranates. Sadly, we didn’t get the chance to eat in Puebla but we did find a local restaurant here in Mexico City that served them. Overall, I probably gained a few pounds after that weekend trip, I even got el “mal del puerco” (food coma). 

chalupa chile en nogada

This month has been full of laughter and joy, making me dread the day I have to leave. I never thought I’d be trying many of the things I have, like grasshoppers. Let me just say they weren’t as bad as I thought. I also had authentic Korean bbq for the first time at a Korean town here in Mexico City. I’ve been packed like sardines in the metro, the one experience I do not want to repeat. I’ve even eaten corn fungus, and other things I would have never tried back home. If I’ve learned anything it’s that being away from home, surrounded by great people and food, did not make me home sick but actually more open to new experiences. Don’t get me wrong I miss my friends and family back home but I also do not want this to come to an end.