Sundays were the Highlight

Every Sunday we were in Stellenbosch, Anna (a fellow program member) and I tried to attend church. We did for the most part. We both come from Christian faith backgrounds, so coming to South Africa, I felt that it was critical for me to find a church to attend while living here. Kaley, the NU South Africa program ambassador this past year had recommended a church called Hillsong that had various locations in South Africa. The one she told us to check out was the Somerset West location and even went as far as connecting us to some members of the church community.

Right as we got off the bus shuttling us from Stellenbosch University to church the first day, the first thing I noticed was that the congregation members were spilling out into the courtyard giving roses to the women. I asked a church member about this, and she said that it was in preparation and excitement for an enormous conference for women focusing on empowerment, strength, dignity, and etc. happening the next weekend. I later found out that our program already scheduled some events and got bummed that we couldn’t go. I further got surprised when I myself received a rose from a complete stranger, as well as Anna.

The lobby of our church

The lobby of our church

One of the aspects of this church that I appreciated the most was how far above and beyond the church body made everyone feel like it was their home. Especially for me, who was over 8,000 miles away from home, this community made me feel like being in South Africa for 10 more weeks would be a piece of cake. That first day, we were introduced to multitudes of people. Whether they came up to us because they heard our loud American accents, or because we looked hesitant or even a little anxious, I felt loved and noticed. Not forgotten. Not invisible.

This church was not a typical church service that I’ve experienced in the past but felt more like a concert. The music was always loud and pumping getting people genuinely excited to be there at church on a Sunday night. The pastors wore skinny jeans and were just as trendy as the hipster Stellenbosch students. I couldn’t believe that this was normal life. This happened each week.

One of the highlights of my church experience in South Africa was being able to attend a large worship service consisting of thousands of other people coming together for church! It was an amazing service and experience! We heard inspiring words from the founder of the global church as well as other revolutionary leaders in ministry.

The thousand plus church service that Anna and I attended in Cape Town.

The other highlight was simply getting to know the actual people that made up the church congregation. Anna and I were able to join a bible study group where we could go deeper into the lives of some of the people in the community. They were all loving and accepting of us and seemed to genuinely want to get to know us. One of the most difficult parts about leaving South Africa is having to leave behind a community that helped ease the transition from America to South Africa.