I’m Mexi-Can’t wait to get going

My name is Esai Orozco and I am a rising Senior at Northwestern studying Biological Sciences. This Summer ’16 I will be abroad in Mexico City (also known as D.F.) on the Public Health in Mexico program.

First off, I should mention that I am of Mexican and Japanese descent. The main reason why I chose this program over others like it, was because it would give me the best opportunity to learn my own culture while not being overly culture shocked. I have been to Mexico many times before, more specifically the highlands of Jalisco, Puerto Vallarta, and Cancun. However, I have never visited D.F. and certainly have never been outside the country without my parents. I have experienced being away from my family in Los Angeles, CA for long periods of time, like when I left them 3 years ago to go to college. I was both homesick and culture shocked when I got to Northwestern University. Everybody from my hometown was Latino, so coming to this predominantly white and wealthy institution was crazy. I tried to fit in with the crowd and failed due to too many differences. For that short time, I cursed my upbringing. Fortunately soon after, I discovered the tight knit Latino community at the school that made me realize to appreciate my Mexican heritage. I was proud to be a “paisa.”

This summer, I will have the ultimate opportunity to continue learning more about my culture. My ultimate goal for the program is to become as comfortable with Spanish as I possibly can. I grew up speaking Spanish, however when I went to middle school where all my classes were taught in English, my language skills deteriorated quicker than the Mexican soccer fan base after the Copa America massacre by Chile. I speak well when I have to so I hope this program will push me further than I could ever do here in the U.S. My other goal in the program is to be able to take in the successful elements of the Mexican public health care system and implement some of their ideals to my future career. As an aspiring physical therapist, I want to improve our health care system as much as possible… since I know personally how backward it is sometimes. I believe learning and implementing effective ideas from Mexico, even though they are a “third world country” and “unhealthy,” would ultimately help our American society as a whole.

To conclude, I never thought in my college career (or life) that I would have the opportunity to study abroad. But thanks to the University… and their money, I am Mexico bound and am ecstatic to get going! Stay tune to more of my adventures as I explore my ancestors’ land.

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 5.28.12 PM