A plus tard Paris

Getting back into my Northwestern paced life in Evanston, it’s easy to sometimes feel like I never even

went to Paris or like it’s a distant memory. Although I might not think about Paris or French culture every day, when I take a second to stop and think about my time there it’s hard not to get nostalgic. Living in Paris was honestly the dream I thought it would be.

When I applied to study abroad I wanted to meet people whose experiences, stories, and perspective varied greatly from mine while building a life in a new city and finding little things and places to call my own. While I’m not going to say there weren’t challenges of living in a new country, after all, everything familiar to me was an ocean away, I barely spoke the language, and didn’t have common cultural ties to the people around me; I will say I found what I was looking for and more. I had the privilege of being free to spend an afternoon getting lost in a new place, explore a neighboring country for the weekend, or find a damn good baguette or croissant for roughly a euro anywhere I went, and that’s not something I take for granted, especially now that I am back in Evanston.

For me study abroad was more than just sight seeing, building language skills, or the things I learned in my classes. It showed me that I have the capability to build a life from scratch, how to rebuild when tragedy strikes, and what it feels like to be a part of a community that overcomes.

My first day in Paris

My first day in Paris

The Eiffel Tower with the city motto "Fluctuat Nec Mergitur"

The Eiffel Tower with the city motto “Fluctuat Nec Mergitur”