Food Frenzy

by Ann Ku

There’s nothing I can say about the food here except delicious.  Over the few months that I’ve been here, I’ve tried too many food items to count, but I’ll share some of my favorites here.

Disneyland Dim Sum

During my first few weeks, I took a trip to Disneyland with one of my childhood best friends who interned here over the summer. Quick side note: one of the most surprising things about being in Hong Kong is the number of friends who either live here or have visited during my short time here so far! Hong Kong really is a hub. Back to the point however, on that trip to Disneyland, we decided to try out the infamous dim sum. You can already tell from the photos below why it’s so special!

Disneyland Dim Sum

Disneyland Dim Sum

To be honest, the dim sum was sub par in taste and we went mainly for the experience. It was also quite expensive – almost $10 for each plate of dim sum!

Yoshinoya Hot Pot

Hot pot is a fairly eastern tradition, so I’ve missed it a lot while I’m in the US! Essentially, you receive your food raw – typically mixed vegetables and your choice of meat. Then, you wait for your soup to boil before putting in your food at your own pace and enjoying a delicious taste right out of the pot. Eating hot pot at Yoshinoya is a different experience, however, because it’s more of a fast food restaurant. Thus, the hot pot materials are carried and used on a tray and the soup is boiled on top of a small candle.

Yoshinoya with friends

Yoshinoya with friends

Paradise Dynasty 

This famous restaurant located near the city center is famous for its crab 小籠包 xiao long bao, which are steamed buns with crab meat inside. The delicious part of this delicacy is how the juice from the 小籠包 makes it feel like the meat melts in your mouth. Most 小籠包 restaurants have a variety of noodle, rice, steamed bun, and vegetable dishes to choose from.

Crab 小籠包 | Crab Xiao Long Bao

Crab 小籠包 | Crab Xiao Long Bao

One of my local friends introduced me to this place, and it was definitely an experience to remember!

炸醬麵 | Zha Jiang Noodles

炸醬麵 | Zha Jiang Noodles