Les Demoiselles d’Avignon

During my trip to Barcelona I stayed in the Gothic neighborhood (which I highly recommend) and went on a free walking tour offered by my hostel. One of my favorite parts of the tour was when we passed a mural that looked a lot like a Pablo Picasso piece. It turns out that Picasso did paint the mural while he was living in Barcelona. The building he painted on used to be his actual residential building during the time, and to make things more interesting the location of his building was in what used to be the red light district in Barcelona. If you take a closer look at the painting it looks a lot like one of Picasso’s very famous paintings “Les Demoiselles d’Avignon” of 1907 which was not only the most famous example of cubism painting but it also serves a tribute to the ladies of Avignon (who Picasso greatly admired). Although the similarities between the two paintings is clear and many people think that the mural is another tribute to the ladies of Avignon, I think that it was more of a gift to the prostitutes that lived and worked in that area during that time. I thought it was a beautiful piece of art and history that I wanted to share.

2015-10-21 13.26.06