Since I’ve been gone…from Mexico

Sunny California

Well it is now September and school is starting up. In my family September signifies more than the start of school – it is the month Mexico gained its Independence. The 16th , according to my mom is called El Dia del Grito, the day of the shout. Everyone who celebrates this momentous day in Mexican history goes around shouting Viva Mexico! Although this day isn’t important to some, it holds much significance to my family. Not to mention having celebrated this day this year made me realize how much I miss Mexico City and life abroad. Although living in a Mexican household does much to remind of my time there, I still miss the deep history and friends I found this summer while studying in Mexico City. Upon arriving to California from my summer abroad, I was happy and excited to spend my remaining weeks in sunny California relaxing with family and friends.

However, I must admit, a part of me really missed Mexico. I missed waking up and walking to school with my peers every morning. I missed the small adventures my family in Mexico and I would have on a whim. It wasn’t hard adjusting to life in the U.S, however I must admit I do miss the easily accessible Oaxacan Hot Chocolate only our host mom, Amalia, knew how to make perfectly. One thing I can say is that studying abroad has really broadened my perspective on life and career interests. Although medicine is still something I enjoy learning and reading about, public health may be something I’d like to study and do in my life. Nonetheless, I really appreciate this summer abroad. Besides granting me knowledge of my roots and better understanding of my culture, this summer abroad has taught me that life is what you make it. There are many paths to certain careers. One just need to find their own, no matter how long it takes.