Until We Meet Again…

Having the time to settle and reflect about my experience abroad was much needed before completing my final entry. Being home and around friends has put me in the position of having to answer the obnoxious inevitable question:

“OH MY GOD! HOW WAS SOUTH AFRICA?”

And every single time I am left standing there dumbfounded and confused about how to articulate in concise sentences how South Africa was for me. The reason behind that being that those ten weeks I spent in that country changed me for the better and I will never be the same after the experience. I can go on ad nauseum recounting my tales of mischief, wonder, and adventure, but instead I will share my greatest takeaway from my time abroad.

Missing those long walks on the beach

Missing those long walks on the beach

Sitting back and taking in the breathtaking views from ever corner of this beautiful country with the breeze blowing through my hair and sun warming my skin, made me reflect of where I have come from and realize how fortunate I am to be where I am today.

I am so blessed.

The world is so beautiful and our lives are beautiful. South Africa taught me that if we never take the chance to stop and take in what there is, then you will never be able to truly live the one life you are given to the fullest. It’s beyond taking chances and going out of your comfort zone but rather losing complete control and immersing yourself into what the world has to offer.

Unbeatable. Unstoppable, Untouchable.

Unbeatable. Unstoppable. Untouchable     Even at 2,195′ elevation

It means making promises to yourself not to get your hair wet and breaking those promises to ride the waves of the cold Atlantic Ocean. It means rolling around on the floor of a creche in Kayamandi covered in 15 babies and toddlers, and accepting that having a runny nose for a week was totally worth it. It means pushing past your perceived limit of physicality to hike Lion’s Head, after nearly quitting many times, only to make it to the top and realizing how much of goddess you truly are.11403302_10206615918098065_5314797232783043085_n. It means staying for only 77 days and crying insufferably when you realized that I would have to wake up from this perfect dream.

Thank you South Africa for teaching me to live, for making me more patient, and for accepting me with open arms. Can’t wait to see you again.

I'll be back...

I’ll be back…