Anxiously Awaiting Abroad

My name is Julie Kelman, and I’m ecstatic and grateful for the opportunity to study abroad on a Northwestern program for the second time. First: Barcelona. Second: Paris.* Contrary to French norms, I’ll give you some info about me that you can’t gain from Facebook stalking. This is my third and (sadly) last year at Northwestern studying Psychology and Global Health as a premed student. Born and raised in Connecticut, I’ve always had the urge to explore more of the world. Last summer, I studied abroad in Barcelona to experience Europe for the first time while speaking the Spanish language that I love. On a weekend excursion to Paris, I swooned at the city’s beauty, with its perfectly sculpted gardens and gray, arched rooftops (and don’t get me started on the food).

This is why the Public Health in Europe program, which qualifies for my minor, is the perfect piece to my academic puzzle. Just the thought of learning about healthcare in Europe, visiting Médecins Sans Frontières and the World Health Organization (two organizations I constantly read about in my Global Health classes), and eating a baguette in front of the Eiffel Tower (of course) makes me eager to throw on some stripes and hop on a plane.

Myself in the near future.

Myself in the near future.

“But wait, do you even know French?” everyone asks. Nope. However, in addition to the required French language course, I will be living with a host family in the hopes of expediting my language learning as well as my understanding of French culture. Overall, I’m certain that the knowledge and experience I gain from this adventure will provide a global perspective to health as I journey to become a physician.

*Note: This numeration constitutes the order in which I studied abroad in these two countries, NOT the ranking of dearness to my heart—that is TBD.