Niu rou mian, please.

It’s hard to fathom, but I’ve already spent three and a half weeks in Beijing! I’m going to be especially cheesy here, but time does fly when you’re having fun or maybe…it flies when you’re exhausted from the fun you’re having. It’s daunting to write a cohesive blog post about these past three weeks, since my time abroad has just been a beautiful hodgepodge of new experiences, sightseeing, friends, and delicious food.

However, one thing has been consistent: my struggle with Chinese. I am constantly reminded of all that I know and all that I don’t know. (Just as a bit of background, I have completed the Chinese II sequence at Northwestern. So, I’m far from fluent.) It’s an interesting experience—one moment I can effectively communicate with someone, and then in the next, like Jon Snow from Game of Thrones, I know nothing.

A wave of anxiety comes over me every time I go order food at the dining hall, but I’m less fearful about using my Chinese, and getting around usually does not require much talking. Nonetheless, it has been difficult. I find myself reusing the same phrases and words because of my limited vocabulary. I’ve been gorging on beef noodles (not that I’m complaining) because it’s the only dish that I can read and say without problem. Still, I have had several personal successes, such as asking a stranger to make a call for me, making small talk with a McDonald’s delivery person in the elevator (yes! McDonald’s delivers in China!), and learning how to order wontons. But, my biggest success so far has been hailing a taxi from the airport to campus.

Yes, McDonald's does delivery in China. Yes, I was very excited about it.

Yes, McDonald’s does delivery in China. Yes, I was very excited about it.

Although I’m ridden with anxiety every time, I am grateful for every interaction. Thanks to my Chinese teacher and everyday experiences, I can recognize more characters than I could ever before and my pronunciation is the best that it’s ever been. I don’t think I’ll be completely fluent by the end of the trip, but I am excited to see how close I’ll get.

Now, I’ll sign off with a few phrases—aside from “thank you,” “hello,” and “goodbye”—that have really helped me get by in the city:

“我从美国来的。”
Wo cong meiguo lai de.
I am from the U.S.

“我的汉语不太好。”
Wo de hanyu bu tai hao
My Chinese is not very good.

“多少钱? “
Duo shao qian?
How much is this?

”北大的东门“
Beida de dong men.
Peking University’s East Gate (especially important for telling the cab driver where to take you!)

”奶茶“
Nai cha.
Milk Tea (useful, because I love milk tea)

And of course,

“牛肉 面”
Niurou mian
Beef noodles

A bowl of 牛肉面 with a glass of 奶茶.

A bowl of 牛肉面 with a glass of 奶茶.