Onward and Outward

11647402_10204381399922637_1901366507_nHey! I’m Kevin, a freshman in SESP studying social policy and economics. I am from Clearwater, Florida, and I have never left North America. My education has proven to be remarkably rewarding, yet I feel restricted by my lack of international exposure. I knew that I wanted to study abroad before I left for college. My passion for languages has led me to begin studying Mandarin: it’s the most spoken language in the world and I believe that knowing it will prove invaluable to my future path as a public servant. I am really excited to further develop my language skills, while at the same time increase my cultural understanding of China.

As I write this blog, I sit at home, sun burnt from the crisp, orange Florida sun, and I wonder. I’m almost done packing, but part of me longs to remain with my family. Partings are often bittersweet, but eight weeks doesn’t take as long as it used to, or so it seems. I believe that this program, and essentially being alone in a foreign country, will prove both challenging and rewarding. Sink or swim, rise or fall- moments like this help me appreciate all that the ever-expanding earth has to offer. This is my first time going abroad, and I could not be more excited. Truly, this experience will be incredible.

I’m looking at the rest of my stuff to pack, begrudgingly. I’m looking at my family, knowing they’re going to miss me but are proud of my successes. I’m looking at my friends, each doing exciting, immensely important things in the world and undertaking new opportunities. I look at myself, and I am ready to do the same.