Goodbye to Israel

Having extended my stay here in Israel, I must say it is bittersweet having to leave. I haven’t seen my family or friends for a long time, so it is exciting to be able to see them, but I have also made so many friends and much family here so it is sad that I will be leaving them. This study abroad experience was the greatest of blessings, having met and befriending people from all different parts of the world and of different cultures, having travelled all through Europe with my best friend since elementary school, learning a new language which uses an entirely different alphabet, and living in a country literally on the other side of the world.

reflection

All of these blessings I think of when I think of my time in Israel, I think of the nights partying with the local Israelis, I think of tanning on the beach and drinking the freshest orange juice the world has to offer, I reminisce about Shabbat dinners and the various trips we made all throughout Israel visiting the south, visiting the north, experiencing Jerusalem, and so much more. The near ridiculous amounts of holidays which makes living in such a beautiful country that much more rewarding and most of all I dream about the people. The nicest, toughest, sweetest, most aggressive, loving, fun people a person could meet, and I love them all.

My heart swells at the thought of Israel and the many memories I’ve made here, and with all those memories in my heart I am able to leave knowing I have experienced something truly special and I leave knowing that I have a home away from home, that beside my little house out on Long Island, I have an entire country filled with desert and sea, beauty and mystery, culture and bliss, waiting for me to return. Here is a photo with two of my friends being sad realizing we have to leave soon.